Dining Services: Cashier, Culinary and Cook positions / Part Time
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Job Description:Campus Title:
Dining Services Assistants: Cashier, Culinary and Cook positions Department:
Dining ServicesFLSA Status:
Non-Exempt Job Type:
Part-Time (no benefits)Timeframe:
Part-time temporary w/possibility for future full-time positionsShift:
Varies and may include weekends, evenings, holidays, and inclement weather. Regular Days Off:
$15.50 Per hour Multiple positions may be hired from this one postingGeneral Statement of Duties:
The Dining Services Assistant performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation including but not limited to: cooking, preparing food, serving food, and retail sales (cashier). The basic purpose of this work is to perform cooking tasks and assist with food serving work as needed; perform related work as required.Duties and Responsibilities:Duties include but not limited to:Essential:
- Cooks food in large quantities by following recipes and standard operating procedures. May be required to perform display cooking as assigned.
- Reads computer generated recipes and menus for the preparation of simple meals.
- Cleans cooking equipment, work areas, food areas and counters.
- Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for simple dishes.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to serving areas and serves food to diners.
- Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Roasts, fries, boils, broils and steams meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods required for daily meals.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes.
- Uses kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare soups, salads, desserts, dressings, gravies, sauces, and stews.
- Operates cutlery, grinders and slicers to prepare and portion food for cooking.
- Evaluate food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation and portioning.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at the proper temperature to prevent spoilage and safe consumption.
- Communicate with culinary staff to report food and menu problems.
- Operates a cash register in accordance with department policies and procedures to complete transactions.
- Washes dishes, trays, utensils, and pots and pans, using available equipment and established methods to maintain department cleanliness and sanitation standards.
- Makes coffee and prepares beverages for service.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage, and places them in designated containers.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Ability to perform display cooking.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including: standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
- Willingness to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures, and use sharp knives and food service equipment. Ability to read and understand recipes.
- Willingness to communicate with customers while performing display cooking.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures governing assigned unit activities. Knowledge of the operation of specialized equipment associated with assigned work.
Additional Information:Disability Accommodations:
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.Background Check:
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.Covid-19 Requirements:As a condition of employment, you will be required to complete an initial series of COVID vaccination (2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna or 1 dose of J&J) prior to coming to campus. Initial booster doses are strongly encouraged for everyone who is eligible. New employees will be required to provide proof of vaccination to Human Resources prior to onboarding. Employees who require a medical or religious exemption should email Tina Bones, Benefits Manager in Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHEN OPENINGS FOR PART-TIME JOBS BECOME AVAILABLE, DINING SERVICES WILL USE THIS APPLICANT POOL TO FILL THE POSITION. PART-TIME JOBS MAY OR MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE RIGHT AWAY.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS MUST APPLY TO THIS POOL TO BE CONSIDERED FOR PART-TIME JOBS IN DINING SERVICES.
APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED ONLY IF DINING SERVICES DECIDES TO INTERVIEW THEM.NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=141986&CNTRNO=46&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency