Head of Instruction and Engagement Librarian IIRank :
Librarian II E30177Regular (PIN) or Long Term Contractual Faculty:
11/09/2023Open Until Filled:
YesDuties and Responsibilities :
The Head of Instruction and Engagement leads the Library in planning, implementing, and managing information literacy and engagement for the Thurgood Marshall Library at Bowie State University. This includes working with the Thurgood Marshall Library team to meet curricular needs by developing a sustainable and effective information literacy program that includes both traditional and online formats and is learner-centered and pedagogically sound. The Instruction and Engagement Librarian provides leadership for all instruction-related policies, procedures, and practices that support student learning. In addition, this position collaborates with colleagues across campus, including but not limited to the Tutoring Center and Center for Teaching and Learning. Participates in professional and scholarly associations and organizations, including maintaining membership and accreditation; attending meetings, conferences, and workshops; and serving in appointed or elected positions. Maintains up-to-date professional knowledge and skills in primary job assignment areas and maintains general knowledge of current trends in higher education, academic libraries, and information and educational technology. Assist with providing reference assistance to Bowie State University Students, faculty, visiting scholars, and the public as needed and assigned. Adheres to the Bowie State University Faculty By-Law/Handbook for Faculty-Equivalent Librarians to ensure promotion-in-rank. This is a 12-month tenure track. Faculty librarian positionConditions of Employment:
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:A. Leadership and Development1. Responsible for overall planning, development, implementation, promotion, and assessment of the library educational programs, including library orientation, course-integrated sessions, co-curricular skill-building, and information literacy sessions for undergraduate and graduate students and faculty development offerings.2. Coordinates and works collaboratively with Thurgood Marshall Librarians to facilitate their involvement in overall library instruction services and participates in the activities of groups such as the Library Student Council.3. Coordinates and promotes library instruction services to the campus community and to faculty and students by working collaboratively with campus entities such as the various Colleges from Academic Affairs, Academic Support departments, the Tutoring Center, the Center for Faculty Development and Excellence, and other departments/programs that support undergraduate and graduate education and faculty development.4. Coordinates instruction efforts with Teaching and Learning Technologies, including integrating library resources within the learning management system.5. Coordinates outreach and engagement efforts with other university entities (e.g., initiates partnerships, serves on College-wide committees, etc.) to integrate library resources and services into the programming of those units.6. Maintain contact and collaborate with academic support services on supporting curricular and research projects on campus.7. Plans and implements training and professional development opportunities for subject and scholarly communications librarians on all aspects of library instruction, including theory, pedagogy, best practices, and available resources.8. Performs other duties related to Instruction and Engagement to accomplish the library goals.B. Managerial Responsibilities1. Serves as the department head for Instruction and Engagement with programmatic responsibility for functional areas and direct supervision of potentially up to 2 FTE librarians and several students.2. Work with the Dean of the Library to coordinate recruitment, hiring, orientation, training, supervision, and evaluation of staff and student employees. Coaches, mentors, and counsels, direct and indirect, report to develop the team positively and proactively, ensuring individuals can develop a broad knowledge of library operations and services and specialized skills.3. Responsible for developing and maintaining up-to-date librarian position responsibilitiesstatements and library staff job descriptions for staff within the department.4. Conducts annual performance evaluations for direct reports and oversees annual processes within the department/unit, ensuring that yearly assessments are conducted promptly andsubmitted on time by campus and library policy.C. Instruction and Engagement Responsibilities1. Plans and delivers innovative instruction services through undergraduate and graduate workshops; teaches research tools and skills relevant to information literacy.2. Coordinates support of first-year student instruction in the First Year Seminar course.3. Collaborates with faculty, librarians, and other campus partners to achieve learning outcomes for information, digital literacies, and archival pedagogy.4. Assist with developing content for library web pages and Libguides
- This position involves moderate exposure to normal stress and pressures typical of a department head-level management position.
- Shift changes and evening/weekend work may be required based on evolving priorities, operational needs, and time-sensitive activities.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a due diligence background check and verification of credentials. Proof of US citizenship or eligibility for U.S. employment will be required prior to employment (Immigration Control Act of 1986).
Please be advised, COVID-19 vaccinations are not required but encouraged for all eligible students, faculty and staff at USM institutions. This protocol is subject to change.Experience:
• Practical knowledge of ACRL’s Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.Education:
• Experience providing instruction and engagement services for various student populations.
• Experience providing reference services and research consultations.
• Experience with marketing and creating promotional materials.
• ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library and Information Science OR equivalent education and experience (subject expertise combined with appropriate teaching experience and library experience).Knowledge Skills and Abilities :
• Minimum three years of professional librarian experience with demonstrated leadership responsibilities.• Minimum two years of demonstrated knowledge and experience with instruction, information literacy, and assessment of library services and resources, including teaching and instruction experience in an academic or research library setting• Commitment to user-centered library services.• Strong interest in technology and tools for research and teaching. Experience creating and using online instructional materials, including videos.• Strong understanding of the critical issues and trends in instruction and engagement• Excellent oral and written communication skills.• Ability to work successfully in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.• Commitment to fostering a diverse educational environment and workplace and an ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student population.