Vice President of Business Services
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job Title
Vice President of Business ServicesJob Profile Title
Vice PresidentJob Description Summary
Reporting to the senior executive vice president, the vice president of business services (VPBS) is responsible for the strategic direction and operational oversight of the University of Pennsylvania's (Penn's) auxiliary enterprises and service centers. The division of business services includes Penn's student housing, dining and conference services, parking, commuter benefits, transportation, mail operations, university bookstore and identification center, child-care center, home mortgage program, and the Morris Arboretum and Gardens. In addition, the position oversees the operation of two university-owned hotels. The vice president manages an annual budget of over $150 million and provides leadership for 450 regular university staff and over 500 seasonal and contracted employees.Job DescriptionResponsibilities of the Position
Additional responsibilities include:
Qualifications and Characteristics of the Successful Candidate
- Provide leadership for strategy, operations, finances, and service delivery of all units within the division.
- Develop, review, and monitor strategic, annual, and capital planning initiatives and operating budgets.
- Serve as a university officer and a member of the senior executive vice president's leadership team.
- Evaluate and benchmark business performance, costs, and services regularly to ensure they support and enhance the academic, research, and civic missions of the university.
- Seek and incorporate feedback from stakeholders, including university leadership, students, faculty, staff, community leaders, and others, as appropriate to inform and improve service offerings.
- Oversee constituent-facing systems, including CampusExpress and Transact ID.
- Work collaboratively with the provost's office, college house system, and academic services to foster a safe, effective, and supportive living-learning environment and student-focused service approach to processes and procedures.
- Partner across the institution to advance the university's strategic plan and inclusivity, climate action, and sustainability goals.
- Maintain awareness of best-in-class business strategies; implement best practices aligned with the university's strategic goals and initiatives.
- Provide timely and accurate interpretation and implementation of divisional and university financial and human resource policies, practices, and procedures, including compliance with external regulations and implementation and monitoring of effective internal controls.
- Provide accurate data to inform decision-making and planning.
- Provide stewardship for logo licensing and adherence to Penn's manufacturer's code of conduct and related requirements.
- Oversee negotiations and actively manage contractual relationships with third-party service providers (currently Banes & Noble, Bon Appetit, and WeDriveU).
A master's degree in business administration or a related field and at least seven years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in higher education business or auxiliary services, or a position of comparable complexity in academia, government, the non-profit sector, or the private sector, are required. The ideal candidate will possess a record of recruiting, developing, and managing diverse and talented staff through effective leadership and expert mentoring; demonstrated ability in navigating complex, decentralized organizations and achieving business results across a diverse portfolio; demonstrated business, finance, and operations experience and previous responsibility for advancing large capital projects; and a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms.
Additionally, Penn stakeholders consistently identified the following attributes to be essential characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- Possesses high ethical standards.
- Demonstrates tact and diplomacy to work across the university.
- Exercises critical thinking, flexibility, and efficiency in challenging situations.
- Exhibits excellent interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- Brings a strategic approach, is visionary, and is future-focused.
- Is a gifted communicator with an aptitude for verbal and written communication, public presentation, and relationship development.
- Provides effective management of diverse human resource needs; ability to identify, develop, and provide workforce training opportunities for staff at all levels.
- Possesses intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn.
- Maintains a collaborative approach to teamwork, organization, administration, and problem-solving.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge of financial strategies and finance-related performance metrics.
- Brings humility coupled with confidence and an ability to be decisive.
The University of Pennsylvania offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits package
, including healthcare, dental, vision, and life insurance.Application/Nomination Process
Recruitment for this role is managed by Spelman Johnson. Interested candidates and/or nominations should submit a resume with an accompanying cover letter to https://www.spelmanandjohnson.com/position/vice-president-of-business-services/
. Applicants needing reasonable accommodation to participate in the application process should contact Spelman Johnson at 413-529-2895 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
General University SpecialPay Range
$90,000.00 - $380,000.00 Annual Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile. Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.University Benefits
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3401-Walnut-Street/Vice-President-of-Business-Services_JR00082216
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency