JOB TITLE: Director, Hispanic-Serving Initiatives and Title V grant Project Director
FLSA STATUS: Salaried, exempt
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President
JOB STATUS: Full-time
DATE AVAILABLE: August 2023 – October 1, 2025
This is a grant-funded position under #P031S220030, Avanzamos: Advancing Dominican University from Hispanic-Enrolling to Hispanic-Serving. Each grant year is contingent upon renewed funding by the Department of Education and is not to be assumed.
PRIMARY PURPOSE/ POSITION SUMMARY:
The Director of Hispanic-Serving Initiatives will be responsible as Project Director to lead all aspects of the Title V Grant #P031S220030, Avanzamos: Advancing Dominican University from Hispanic-Enrolling to Hispanic-Serving grant. A principal component of the grant is to implement, establish, and sustain an Office of Hispanic-Serving Initiatives (OHSI) at the university. In collaboration with other offices and divisions when appropriate, the Director coordinates serving-minded efforts in all university colleges, engages corporate and community partners in Hispanic-Servingness, empower faculty and staff educators to make equity-minded improvements to curricula and pedagogies, and engages DU alumnae/i in supporting Latine students’ career readiness. The Director will participate in the strategic planning with ‘a Latine lens,’ synthesizing inputs from action research and Hispanic-serving focused community engagement efforts to drive initiatives to improve institutional effectiveness through our HSI identity.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES:
To support the University's mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
JOB COMPONENTS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Hispanic-Serving Initiatives will lead and work collaboratively to implement the following activities under the auspices of the OHSI:
- Provide leadership for all aspects of Title V Grant #P031S220030, Avanzamos: Advancing Dominican University from Hispanic-Enrolling to Hispanic-Serving grant to ensure that project activities are being implemented as planned in pursuit of project goals and objectives.
- Serve as a champion for the Title V Grant #P031S220030, Avanzamos: Advancing Dominican University from Hispanic-Enrolling to Hispanic-Serving as a whole, ensuring that the Dominican community’s needs and strategic priorities are incorporated in grant activities; communicate grant progress, outcomes and impact to the DU internal and external community.
- Supervise all grant fiscal management, ensuring that federal and Dominican fiscal policies and procedures are followed. Collaborate with the grants management team to ensure that all required reports are prepared accurately to submit to the Department of Education.
- Lead institutional capacity building and transformation across strategic initiatives and corresponding university structures that promote excellence in serving Latine students and our HSI identity. Lead, in coordination with faculty and staff, the building of a hub or center for the study of HSI praxis with corresponding evidence of effectiveness with Latine students. Cultivate and support institutional inquiry, analysis, and advocacy focused on Latine student success. Collaborate with campus partners involved in community engagement initiatives to include faculty and staff in action research and high-impact experiences for students to elevate the HSI profile of the institution and forge key partnerships to increase opportunities for Latine students. Collaborate to design and implement faculty and staff professional development with regard to culturally responsive pedagogy and curriculum. Promote scholarship and research on HSI-servingness among faculty and staff to conduct research analysis to assist in the development of the OHSI, working with other grant Project Directors and others to generate, gather, and analyze data in ways that strengthen our ability to serve Latine and low-income students effectively. Coordinate and ensure the implementation of institutional efforts so that Dominican is well-positioned to achieve indicators of excellence and best practice, such as Examples of Excelencia, the Seal of Excelencia, and other recognition or quality indicators. Work collaboratively with other DU grant initiatives designed to promote our HSI servingness and effectiveness. Engage with campus partners whenever possible to ensure a Latine lens is evident in our campus programming, policy, strategy, brand identity, and professional development efforts are culturally responsive. Collaborate with the Offices of Justice, Equity and Inclusion, Human Resources, Student Success and Engagement, and Institutional Effectiveness to actively monitor the metrics established in the university’s strategic plan to measure the achievement of the strategic plan goals to decrease equity gaps in student success, climate, and hiring.
All qualifications are required unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bilingual: Spanish/English
- Experience in synthesizing current HSI research to guide strategy and practice
- Demonstrated experience in implementing proven HSI best practices
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Spanish
- Demonstrated ability to organize and implement initiatives
- Proven collaborative skills; demonstrated ability to collaborate across units
- Demonstrated cultural competency in working with a Latine student community
- Capacity and desire to lead across a wide variety of campus constituents
- High-energy initiative-taking and consistent follow-through
- Flexibility to manage in a changing educational environment
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices that support Latine student success
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience in managing grant projects, preferably federal grant initiatives
- 5 years of experience in higher education
- Experience with or commitment to working with Latine student populations
Dominican University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to the goal of building an equity-centered faculty and staff committed to teaching, working, and learning in a multicultural environment. Dominican University believes that justice, equity, and inclusion are critical to our growth and development and seek to recruit, develop, and retain from a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
This position requires a background screening.