Professor of Practice in Theatre and Dance Stage Management/ Production ManagerLocation:
New Orleans, LouisianaOpen Date:
Oct 18, 2023Close Date:
Feb 29, 2024Description:
Tulane University’s Department of Theatre and Dance is seeking a full-time Professor of Practice in Stage and Production Management. The department is in the process of revising its graduate curriculum, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to help shape the content and structure for future graduate cohorts. The department is committed to inclusive and equitable practices in work, teaching, and production, and we are excited to bring innovative faculty members who can help us create a dynamic, inclusive, and progressive program.
The successful candidate will be an engaging and skilled pedagogue and/or professional practitioner able to teach, mentor, and inspire at various levels of stage management. In addition, the candidate will serve as the production manager for the department's annual mainstage season, coordinating production teams’ activities and hosting production meetings.
This position is split 75/25 with the Strategy, Leadership and Analytics Minor (SLAM) program, and as such, we seek candidates who can contribute to this program as well. SLAM is looking for vibrant faculty with a range of professional experiences and who are committed to a liberal arts approach to help students leverage their creativity, communication, and analytic skills to develop leadership and strategic thinking.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate strong collaboration and communication skills. The department seeks candidates with specialty areas that complement and expand upon the curriculum; persons willing to advise MFA, BFA, and BA students on academic progress and student production work; and to be involved in recruiting and department production activities. This position has a 3/3 teaching load, with partial course reassignment for services as production manager. Night and weekend hours required during technical rehearsals.
Requisite Knowledge, Skills, and Responsibilities:
- Serve as Production Manager for all theatre and dance department productions, managing the department calendar, budgets, and space utilization
- Mentor multiple levels of stage management students (graduate and undergraduate) and oversee stage management area for the department
- Work closely and effectively with shop managers, area heads, and performance faculty in all phases of the production process
- Assist in establishing and oversight of production budgets
- Knowledge of current instructional theory, methods, strategies, techniques, and industry best practices for both theatre and dance
- Skills in decision-making, interpersonal relationships, problem-solving, and excellent written and verbal communication
About the Department of Theatre & Dance
The Department of Theatre and Dance is currently in an exciting period of reimagining and expansion. We are hiring four full-time faculty positions and recently received a significant grant from the Louisiana Board of Regents to update the technology in our primary performance venue. We are excited to bring innovative faculty members who can help us create a dynamic, inclusive, and progressive program. We produce a fully-designed season of mainstage Theatre and Dance productions, often bringing exciting guest artists to work with our students (recent guests include Pulitzer Prize winning playwright Lynn Nottage, Israeli choreographer Ronit Ziv, and Broadway director Zhailon Levingston). In addition to faculty and guest artist led work, we offer opportunities for student-led projects in both dance and theatre.
Tulane is located in beautiful uptown New Orleans, a city known for its unique history, outstanding food, and rich arts and culture scene. In addition to working on campus, our faculty members and students are often employed in the vibrant professional film, television, and theatre communities in town.
Family-Friendly Policies and Professional Development
We offer family-friendly policies and a range of professional development opportunities focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are dedicated to supporting our faculty, especially those from underrepresented groups, through mentoring and resources
- MFA or PhD in Stage or Production Management or related discipline
- Professional experience in the fields of theatre and/or dance
- University teaching experience
- Substantive professional experience in stage and production management in both dance and theatre
- Equity membership
To apply, submit the following via Interfolio:
- Letter of Application
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy - Please include how you acknowledge and address issues related to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging in your pedagogy
- Sample syllabus for graduate introduction to stage management course
- Contact information for three references
Please reach out to the chair of this search, Assistant Professor Monica Payne, with any questions: email@example.com.
UPDATE: Application window extended until Feb. 29, with review to commence on March 1.Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
Tulane University is located in New Orleans - a city with tremendous history of diverse cultures, community, and languages. Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.