Assistant Professor of Public Administration Location:
Savannah State Recruiting Loc Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
Savannah State University established in 1890, is the first public historically black college or university in the state of Georgia and the first institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university's students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia. The moss-laden sweeping oak trees, expansive marsh and historic architecture create a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
The Department of Political Science and Public Affairs, an academic unit of the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences at Savannah State University, is the academic home of the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA) accredited Master of Public Administration (MPA) program.
The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA) accredited Master of Public Administration program at Savannah State University invites applicants for an Assistant Professor of Public Administration. This is a tenure track position in the Department of Political Science and Public Affairs to begin August 2024. Assignments will include teaching at the graduate level, scholarly activities, securing grant funding and service to the department, campus, profession, and community. The incumbent may be required to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically delineated in this description.
- Terminal degree (Ph.D) in public administration, public policy or a related field (Ph.D students at the final stage of their dissertation are encouraged to apply)
- Excellent record in teaching, research and service
- Must be able to teach graduate courses in the MPA program
- Experience teaching Human Resources Management (HRM) courses
- Knowledge of NASPAA accreditation process and course assessment
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to student-centered learning and teaching
- Must be able to work collaboratively in multidisciplinary settings
- Demonstrated record of securing grant funding and fundraising
Experience teaching at the university level graduate courses in public administration, public policy, urban planning and related disciplines
The proposed salary for this position is $60,000.00
Required Documents to Attach
- Current CV that contains a summary and format of each course taught (e.g. in-person, online, hybrid).
- Two (2) letters of recommendation from supervisors who have knowledge of the applicant's teaching and research abilities (submit both letters as one attachment)
- List of graduate courses taught and sample syllabi of relevant courses (submit as sample curriculum)
- Teaching philosophy detailing how the applicant's teaching will meet the needs of SSU's students
Apply Before Date
For best consideration, apply by November 30, 2023. The position will remain open until filled.
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Recourses at email@example.com. For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at (877) 251.2644, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources at email@example.com. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Applicant Instructions
- Applicants must include the name, e-mail address and telephone number of three (3) professional references.
- Transcripts must be uploaded with the application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. The official transcript is required upon hire.