Director of Undergraduate Admission
Hawai‘i Pacific University, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Undergraduate Admission. Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU) seeks a dynamic and experienced professional to provide leadership and direction to the Office of Admissions and carry out all aspects of the HPU Strategic Enrollment Management plan as the new Director of Undergraduate Admission. The Director will manage all activities related to recruitment, admissions, and enrollment of qualified undergraduate students in order to meet the University’s enrollment goals, and collaborate with other departments at HPU to support the overall mission of the University and ensure compliance with its policies. The Director will also represent HPU at events in the local and mainland communities as needed.
Management of the Hawai‘i and regional mainland-based recruitment staff (60%)
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Hawaii and regional mainland-based recruitment staff.
- Assist teams to solve problems, to focus their efforts on high yielding activities.
- Support the recruitment team with the various departments they collaborate with on campus.
- Evaluate and analyze market to determine target markets and effective recruitment strategies using statistical data and budgetary consideration to enroll students that support the University mission.
- Create a comprehensive annual marketing and recruitment budget based on past enrollment analysis as well as current and future trends and opportunities. Evaluate results with focus on future planning, assessment, and budget.
- Develop and implement a recruitment plan that includes: public and private high school and community college visitations and presentations; communication plans, publications, events, on-campus tours and visitations.
- Manage communication plans to inquiries, applicants, and counselors. Oversee content of admissions web pages, and other forms of social media.
- Work closely with recruitment staff to get feedback and ensure that strategies are carried out and revised as needed. Develop recruitment goals and budgets for staff.
- Conduct annual performance appraisals. Hire, train, coach and develop recruitment staff as needed. Oversee ongoing training of recruitment staff.
- Participate in recruitment trips and fairs, as needed.
- Document trainings and manuals of policies and procedures, and programs for recruitment staff.
Oversees Admissions Operation (20%)
- Maintain the University’s standards of Admissions.
- Responsible for admitting qualified students to the University.
- Work in collaboration with colleagues in Enrollment Management to ensure seamless transition from admission to enrollment.
- Develop goals and objectives for the Office of Admissions.
- Monitor admissions procedures to ensure that they are in line with HPU policy and those admission procedures are conducted in a timely manner.
- Review and revise admission materials such as acceptance packets, admit letters, etc. to ensure compliance, as well as appropriate communications and publications.
- Serve as chairperson for Admissions Committee.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Enrollment Management.
Supports the research, development, and implementation of a complex data-driven Strategic Enrollment Management plan for Domestic student markets (15%)
- Manage all aspects of the HPU Strategic Enrollment Management plan including research, implementation, and assessment.
- Implement effective usage procedures and policies related to Ellucian Banner and Target X.
- Work in collaboration with the Vice President of Enrollment Management to create reports and systems to support the recruitment staff.
- Recommend new initiatives based on data and trend analysis.
Performs other duties as assigned (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of experience in admissions and recruitment.
- Experience supervising full-time admissions staff at a post-secondary institution.
- Demonstrated communication and team-building skills.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Able to travel within the US.
- Master’s degree.
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage team members given barriers of distance.
- Ability to build relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated quantitative and analytical abilities.
- Familiarity with Target X CRM and Ellucian Banner.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, utilizing excellent time and stress-management skills.
About Hawai‘i Pacific University:
Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU) is an international learning community set in the rich cultural context of Hawai‘i. Students from around the world join us for an American education built on a liberal arts foundation. Our innovative undergraduate and graduate programs anticipate the changing needs of the community and prepare our graduates to live, work, and learn as active members of a global society. HPU’s campus is located in downtown Honolulu, the business and financial center of the Pacific. The beautiful aquaculture research facility, the Oceanic Institute, borders the ocean. With students from all 50 states and 65 countries, HPU is one of the most culturally diverse universities in the world.
At HPU we believe that it is our responsibility to give back to the community and respect the land we live in. Students, faculty, staff, and the broader University community are encouraged to find experiential learning opportunities with community impact that perpetuates our Hawaiian values of Pono, Kuleana, and Aloha:
- Pono, meaning righteous, honest and moral, and an energy of necessity.
- Kuleana, meaning responsibility and rights, and concern for all interests, property, and people.
- Aloha, meaning hello, goodbye, love, kindness and grace, unity, humility, patience and waiting for the right moment.
About Honolulu, Hawai‘i:
Honolulu, Hawai‘i is a beautiful city filled with vibrant culture. In this cosmopolitan capital, you’ll find everything from historic landmarks, to fine dining, to world-class shopping. Home to the majority of Oʻahu’s population, Honolulu stretches across the southeastern shores of the island, from Pearl Harbor to Makapuʻu Point, encompassing world-famous Waikīkī Beach along the way.
The lush, emerald landscapes, breathtaking beaches, and warm, sunny weather create a paradise-like atmosphere. The rich Hawaiian heritage and the Aloha spirit of the people make Honolulu feel like home. From enjoying the stunning sunsets over Waikīkī Beach to exploring the diverse marine life while snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, every day is a new adventure. With its delicious cuisine, colorful festivals, and a perfect blend of city living and natural wonders, Honolulu offers an atmosphere that is as enriching as it is beautiful.
Application and Nomination Process:
All correspondence relating to the position of Director of Undergraduate Admission at Hawaiʻi Pacific University should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Adam Barrett, Associate Vice President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by December 11, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Hawai‘i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective of ethnicity, gender, faith, age, color, disability or genetic information. Hawai‘i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.