Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to over 50,000 students, 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, nine straight years of record enrollment, global leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 Conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.Job Overview
As one of the oldest medical schools in the country, the UC College of Medicine has a reputation for training best-in-class health care professionals and developing cutting-edge procedures and research that improves the health and clinical care of patients.
A full-time Postdoctoral Fellow position in Biochemistry and Structural biology is available in the laboratory of Xiaowei Hou, PhD in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine. Research in Dr. Hou’s laboratory aims to understand molecular mechanisms that govern Ca2+ signaling under physiological and pathological conditions. We are seeking enthusiastic and highly self-motivated candidates who can work both independently and cooperatively as part of a team. Candidates with a strong background in biochemistry, biophysics, or structural biology are encouraged to apply. Experience in cryo-EM would be a plus but is not required, as the lab will provide training. Our research program is supported by the Center for Advanced Structural Biology (CASB) and the Center for Advanced Research Computing (ARC) at the UC College of Medicine. The CASB provides access to a 200 kV Thermo Scientific Glacios Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM) equipped with a Selectris Energy Filter and a Falcon 4 direct electron detector. We also have access to high-end 300kV Krios TEMs at several NIH and DOE-funded cryo-EM centers in the United States. In addition, the College provides a variety of up-to-date core facilities, including the UC Proteomics and Metabolomics Laboratory, Center for Biological Microscopy, Flow Cytometry Core, and the Genomics, Epigenomics, and Sequencing Core.Essential Functions
- Conduct research experiments in a particular field within the pre-determined research scope and methodology.
- Gather and analyze data and develop new ideas and methodology that promote current research.
- Prepare data summaries, reports, manuscripts, and presentations of research results.
- Participate/assist in manuscript writing for publication in scientific journals and/or presentation; may assist in grant writing.
- Keep informed of developments in field to maintain and enhance professional expertise.
- Lab maintenance, including equipment maintenance and ordering of supplies, as needed.
- May teach techniques to others, train, and mentor junior research staff.
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities.
- Play an active role in seeking career and research advice, both from the faculty supervisor and from other faculty members as well.
- Perform related duties based on departmental need. This job description can be changed at any time.
Doctoral Degree in the appropriate field or discipline, or the recognized terminal degree, or the foreign equivalent.Required Experience
At least three years of experience in biochemistry or structural biology from previous training in a research laboratory.Additional Qualifications Considered
Physical Requirements/Work EnvironmentOffice environment/no specific unusual physical or environmental demands.Compensation and Benefits
- Research experience in, cell biology, molecular biology, electrophysiology, biophysics, computational biology, or monoclonal antibody generation and production.
- Experience in cryo-EM would be a plus but is not required, as the lab will provide training.
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP). To learn more about why UC is a great place to work, please visit our careers page at https://www.uc.edu/careers.html
. For questions about the UC recruiting process or to request accommodations with the application, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN SF:IHE