Dean of the School of Business and EntrepreneurshipDepartment:
Academic AffairsSupervisor Title:
VP for Academic AffairsStatus:
Full Time RegularPosition Summary:
North Central College is conducting a search for the Dean of the School of Business and Entrepreneurship. We seek a strategic thinker with superb collegial leadership skills. The Dean serves as the primary advocate and liaison for the School faculty in matters of curriculum, policy, program development, and resource allocation. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership expertise in many facets, including faculty development, external and community relations, and achieving and maintaining AACSB accreditation.
Major opportunities for the Dean of the School of Business and Entrepreneurship include:
Description of Key Responsibilities:
- Leading the faculty through a successful AACSB accreditation application process.
- Continuing the alignment of our undergraduate programs with best practices in AACSB-accredited institutions.
- Leading and supporting diversity, equity, inclusiveness, and belonging initiatives.
- Strengthening and expanding graduate programs, in particular the MBA program, in collaboration with the School of Graduate and Professional Studies.
- Collaborating with colleagues in the School of Graduate and Professional Studies to reinvigorate undergraduate degree completion programs for working adults.
- Collaborating with the Office of Institutional Advancement to seek major gift support.
Program Oversight and Direction:
- Provide intellectual leadership for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Supervise department chairs.
- Ensure that departments continually develop and maintain excellent teaching and scholarship standards.
- Lead the development and implementation of the strategic plan at the School of Business and Entrepreneurship level.
- Encourage and support efforts to increase diversity among faculty, staff, and students.
- Embrace, enhance, and support diversity, equity, inclusion and belongingness efforts throughout our curriculum and in our communities.
- Prepare reports on academic issues and trends, including enrollments, and on planning information for academic programs, staffing, and facility needs.
- Serve as a member of the Provost/VPAA’s council.
- Serve on College committees as designated by the Provost/VPAA.
Allocation and Management of Resources:
- Establish annual and ongoing goals for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship; and ensure the effective implementation of the goals through appropriate allocation, development, and management of the necessary resources.
- Oversee and coordinate the development of new programs and the continued growth of current programs.
- Ensure that planning in each department is consistent with the mission of the college. Prepare annual reports for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Oversee program review and assessment efforts within the School of Business and Entrepreneurship to ensure that departments are focused on continuous improvement.
- Oversee and ensure compliance with accreditation guidelines and requirements.
- Work closely with chairs in implementing program improvements.
- Collaborate with other deans on the development, staffing, and continuous enhancement of college-wide programs, such as General Education, the Honors Program, and interdisciplinary programs.
- Prepare annual reports for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
Personnel Development and Evaluation:
- Develop and oversee the annual budget for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Coordinate the use of budgeted funds to ensure appropriate staffing, including balance of full-time and part-time faculty and overload.
- Coordinate course offerings within the School of Business and Entrepreneurship to ensure that they are consistent with the needs of students and available instructional resources.
- Coordinate and make recommendations concerning programmatic initiatives and associated budget implications, as well as overall budgetary priorities within the School of Business and Entrepreneurship and its units.
- Provide oversight for all faculty and staff recruitment in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
Enrollment Management and Student Success:
- Ensure that there are adequate resources and programs to support the continued professional development of faculty members in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Review annual formative evaluations of all full-time faculty and staff in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Prepare annual summative administrative evaluations of all department chairs.
- Make recommendations concerning the appointment and continuation of department chairs to the Provost/VPAA.
- Make recommendations to the vice president for academic affairs in matters of promotion, tenure, renewal, and continuance of faculty and staff members, as appropriate.
External Relations and Resource Development:
- In collaboration with the Office of Enrollment Management/Admission, ensure that the School of Business and Entrepreneurship is meeting the enrollment goals established by the College.
- Support the efforts of the Office of Enrollment Management/Admissions to improve the yield of students who have applied to various programs in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- In cooperation with the Dean of Student Success, maintain a consistent and effective advising system throughout the School of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Support the efforts of the Center for Student Success in the areas of student persistence and timely graduation.
OTHER KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Encourage and support efforts to improve the awareness and reputation of North Central College among our peer and aspirant institutions.
- Represent the School of Business and Entrepreneurship to external constituencies both on and off campus.
- Collaborate with the Office of Institutional Advancement and the grants office in pursuing opportunities for external funding in the form of grants, endowments, scholarships, etc., from private and public sources to support the School of Business and Entrepreneurship and institutional initiatives.
- Work with academic departments and the Alumni Office to ensure that alumni receive current information about the School of Business and Entrepreneurship and to solicit their support for the College’s programs and students.
- Collaborate with the Office of Marketing and Communication on initiatives to enhance the visibility of academic programs and faculty at North Central College.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Provost/VPAA.
- Building strong strategic partnerships with major corporations and businesses in the area
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of the College’s General Education curriculum.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Support the College’s mission, vision and values, and contribute to the advancement of the College’s Strategic Plan.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to continuous quality improvement.
- Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
Candidates must hold the rank of associate or full professor and have prior administrative experience at the level of department chair or higher. The ideal candidate will have current knowledge of issues in higher education, especially those impacting colleges such as North Central. Candidates should be innovative and entrepreneurial leaders who can engender the respect and support of their faculty colleagues and college leaders and staff across the College; demonstrate a collaborative, collegial, but decisive leadership style; and be open and transparent in dealing with all stakeholders. Candidates should have strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills; knowledge of AACSB accreditation; experience in program review and assessment; and strategic planning experience. They should also be strong advocates for teaching, including the use of innovative technology in teaching and learning, and good mentors for faculty in the areas of research and professional development.Distinguishing Characteristics:
The Dean serves as the chief academic officer for the School of Business and Entrepreneurship and assumes responsibility for strategic leadership and operational management. Reporting directly to the Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs, they has responsibility for faculty recruitment, professional development, and evaluation; fundraising and external community outreach in support of the Office of Institutional Advancement; program and curriculum development and assessment; key enrollment goals in support of the Office of Enrollment Management; persistence and timely graduation initiatives at the School of Business and Entrepreneurship, in collaboration with the Center for Student Success; budget management and resource allocation; strategic planning; and maintenance of regional, state, and national accreditations, as appropriate. The Dean will foster a collegial environment that contributes to learning, scholarship and community in the School of Business and Entrepreneurship. As a member of the academic leadership team, the dean will also participate in strategic decision-making and foster partnerships and cross-school/college working relationships in support of College-wide academic programs, governance, and other North Central College initiatives.Education/Training:
Credentials to teach at North Central College.Experience:
Candidates must hold the rank of associate or full professor and have prior administrative experience at the level of department chair or higher.Is This a Temporary Position?:
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the College’s background screening process.Number of Vacancies:
North Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce. NCC provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, please notify the Office of Human Resources. Determinations for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.Open Until Filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Applicants who would enrich the diversity of the campus community are strongly encouraged to apply.