The Family Medicine Clerkship Director is responsible for overseeing the clinical education of medical students as part of the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship, which includes inpatient and outpatient experiences. The Clerkship Director assures the availability and comparability of educational experiences as well as consistency and quality of student assessment and feedback at all clerkship sites. In collaboration with other clerkship directors, the LIC director, and curricular leadership, the clerkship director ensures the clinical experience and clerkship curriculum for their clerkship effectively supports and integrates with the overall curriculum. The Clerkship Director is also responsible for fostering and ensuring an effective and excellent learning environment.
This is a 0.4 FTE faculty position.
Duties and Essential Job Functions:
Works with the other clerkship directors and LIC director to create the Longitudinal Integrated Clerkship experience, including participation in weekly planning meetings with the LIC team.Develops clerkship curriculum and teaching materials including the course syllabus, learning objectives, clerkship activities and requirements, and corresponding assessments in collaboration with the LIC team.Participates in planning, developing, and delivering clerkship didactics, including on-site presence during the designated academic half day.Recruits, develops, and retains Clinical Clerkship preceptors and sites to ensure effective clinical education experiences for all students.Evaluates clerkship teaching faculty and teaching sites, including regular communication and site visits with preceptors.Assists with matching students to clerkship sites and addresses student concerns as needed.Assists in the development of the community of clinical preceptors across all phases of the curriculum.Participates in the assessment process and grading committee to complete final grade forms; monitors required clinical experiences (RCEs), grades H&Ps, assists in the creation and assessment of OSCEs, and provides mid-clerkship feedback and narrative assessment to students within timelines set by the Office of Assessment.Conducts workshops, seminars, and courses for medical students, trainees, and faculty. Participates in clinical duties in their specialty, including precepting medical students. Serves on College of Medicine curricular committees as assigned. Evaluates all aspects of the clerkship and recommends and implements changes as appropriate.Performs additional duties as assigned.
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution and recognizes protected classes of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), genetic information, religion, age (40 and above), national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or status, and gender expression as required by federal law. Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- MD or DO degree (or equivalent with credentials required to obtain a medical license in the State of Texas)
- Scholarly experience and productivity equivalent to the Assistant Professor rank or higherCompletion of an accredited Family Medicine residency training programEvidence of effective teaching of learners in clinical and classroom settings
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Experience as a clerkship director in a medical school
• Understanding of educational pedagogy in clinical sciences and workplace-based teaching and assessment
• Experience developing medical school clinical courses
• Experience managing professionals in a complex organization
• Experience in the management of multiple initiatives and multiple sites
• Experience with LCME and/or other accreditation processes
• Experience working with students from a variety of backgrounds
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Track record of teaching excellence, educational leadership, and organizational talent
• Experience in working with and developing faculty
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with and within teams
Required Licensure/Certification/Specialized Training:Organization:
• Physicians with an active clinical practice must have an unrestricted license to practice medicine;
• Physicians with an active clinical practice must have current ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties) Certification in Family Medicine
H0623 Clinical SciencesJob Posting:
Oct 19, 2023, 6:31:48 PM