: Budget and Accounting ServicesLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Oct 10, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Hybrid Work Schedules
Paid Winter Break
FRIDAYS OFF during the Summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under the general direction of the Senior Manager of Payroll Operations, the Manager of Payroll supervises and coordinates the activities of the payroll team and manages workload to meet operational requirements. Ensures that payroll is processed in an accurate, compliant, and timely manner.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise, hire, evaluate and discipline the payroll team, which includes the Payroll Specialist and Payroll Assistant. This includes directing and reviewing the work of the payroll team in executing the bi-weekly payroll process, including timesheet revisions, deductions, third party transactions, compensation time payout, etc.
- Direct and review the work of the payroll team in executing the Faculty Load and Compensation (FLAC) process and spreadsheet load for all eligible employees.
- Develop and manage the payroll team budget for each fiscal year.
- Submit all state and federal tax reports, including quarterly tax returns and year-end W-2 reporting. Remain current on payroll tax law that affects the College and guide the college-wide implementation and rollout of new payroll tax law changes as needed.
- Oversee the College's multi-state taxation process, including having knowledge of worker's compensation and unemployment, to ensure proper compliance with state laws.
- Manage the Payroll ERP system process to determine employee eligibility for the State Universities Retirement System (SURS) each pay period.
- Oversee processing of SURS transactions and web events in accordance with state law and College policies and procedures. Research and respond to SURS inquires on current and former employees. Review SURS monthly reports, Active Member and Public Act 96-0889 reports and take appropriate action or process changes into the payroll ERP system.
- Review and analyze proposals, cost analyses, spreadsheets, and confidential internal draft and draft documents related to salaries and benefits during bargaining unit contract negotiations.
- Identify and test business processes and workflow within the payroll ERP system.
- Update training guides, workbooks, and procedures documentation for the College's payroll ERP system.
- Train user groups and departments in the proper use of the College's payroll ERP system.
- Identifies systemic problems with the payroll functions and develops appropriate responses.
- Work cross-functionally with other departments including Human Resources department for new hire processes, terminations, pay changes, and leaves of absence.
- Cultivate and maintain excellent customer service for internal and external customers in the College Community; responding to inquiries timely and accurately.
- Participate in professional development training to stay up to date in the payroll field.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree required in Business, Accounting, or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is required. Professional payroll or financial certification preferred.
- Three years payroll processing experience is required. Familiarity with Ellucian Banner Payroll or another similar Payroll ERP is required.
- A high level of interpersonal and communication skills is required. Must be able to regularly explain policies, write and edit reports and coordinate the work of others.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- Intermediate level of word processing (Microsoft Word) and spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel) skills are required. (macros, VLOOKUP's, Pivot tables etc.).
Light lifting up to 10 lbs. and light carrying up to 10 lbs. Ability to reach above shoulder. Periods of time spent sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, bending and stooping. Mobility to move from building to building on-Campus and to visit off-Campus entities. Work is performed in a general office environment and is sedentary in nature. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Senior Manager of Payroll Operations. Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
Functional supervision is exercised for payroll staff employees, and any part-time staff, consultants and student employees.
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
Starting Salary: 65,317
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have hybrid schedule options available after 30 working days.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.