Current UC employees must apply internally via SuccessFactors > http://bit.ly/UCEMPL
Founded in 1819, the University of Cincinnati ranks among the nation’s best urban public research universities. Home to over 50,000 students, 11,000 faculty and staff and 332,000 alumni, UC combines a Top 35 public research university with a physical setting The New York Times calls “the most ambitious campus design program in the country.”
With the launch of Next Lives Here, the Cincinnati Innovation District, a $100 million JobsOhio investment, nine straight years of record enrollment, global leadership in cooperative education, a dynamic academic health center and entry into the Big 12 Conference, UC’s momentum has never been stronger. UC’s annual budget tops $1.65 billion and its endowment totals $1.8 billion.Job Overview
The University of Cincinnati’s Department of English invites applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor position in Technical and Professional Communication beginning August 15, 2024. In this position, the person will be expected to conduct research in areas such as the following: ethical artificial intelligence (AI), data feminism, or critical algorithm studies (broadly conceived). The selected candidate will have opportunities to collaborate with faculty within and outside the department on AI-related research opportunities and to teach courses that contribute to the Master of Arts in Professional Writing as well as the undergraduate track of Rhetoric and Professional Writing. The department is particularly interested in expanding its depth of course offerings in structured authoring (e.g., DITA, XML), data visualization, and/or web analytics.Essential Functions
- Maintain an active research agenda, including conducting and publishing research in one’s area of expertise.
- Conduct and teach assigned undergraduate and/or graduate-level courses and seminars including but not limited to a graduate-level Principles and Practices of Web Design class and a new undergraduate course in AI and Professional Writing.
- Attend departmental meetings, participate in governance, and prepare materials for teaching.
- Serve as an academic advisor for students and evaluate student coursework.
- Serve on college or university committees, such as the Faculty Senate’s Research and Scholarship Committee or its Information Technology committee, and participate in curriculum development activities.
- Engage in other activities ancillary to or in support of his/her/their responsibilities, including departmental service as liaison to the Professional Writing Advisory Board.
- Participate in community engagement service in teaching through service learning assignments and advising student internships.
Prior to effective date of appointment, all of the following:
- Ph.D. in Technical Communication, Professional Writing, or related field.
- Two field-related conference presentations, or two field-related academic publications, or a combination of one of each.
- One academic year of experience in teaching in-person, online or hybrid settings.
For full consideration, applicants must complete our online application. In addition to the application, we require submission of:
- Cover letter
- Current CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- One-page diversity and inclusion statement summarizing your contributions or potential contributions to diversity and inclusion as they relate to teaching, research, and/or mentoring.
Address letter to Dr. Jenn Glaser, Head, Dept. of English, University of Cincinnati, ML 0069, Cincinnati, OH 45221-0069. Review of candidates will begin on October 24, 2023 and will continue until the position is filled. Any questions can be directed to the search committee chair, Lora Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.Compensation and Benefits
UC offers a wide array of complementary and affordable benefit options, to meet the financial, educational, health, and wellness needs of you and your family. Eligibility varies by position and FTE.
- Competitive salary range dependent on the candidate's experience.
- Comprehensive insurance plans including medical, dental, vision, and prescription coverage.
- Flexible spending accounts and an award-winning employee wellness program, plus an employee assistance program.
- Financial security via our life and long-term disability insurance, accident and illness insurance, and retirement savings plans.
- Generous paid time off work options including vacation, sick leave, annual holidays, and winter season days in addition to paid parental leave.
- Tuition remission is available for employees and their eligible dependents.
- Enjoy discounts for on and off-campus activities and services.
As a UC employee, and an employee of an Ohio public institution, if hired you will not contribute to the federal Social Security system, other than contributions to Medicare. Instead, UC employees have the option to contribute to a state retirement plan (OPERS, STRS) or an alternative retirement plan (ARP). To learn more about why UC is a great place to work, please visit our careers page at https://www.uc.edu/careers.html
FOR ALL FACULTY HIRES OFFICIAL ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS WILL BE REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE
The University of Cincinnati, as a multi-national and culturally diverse university, is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and diverse place of learning and employment. As part of a complete job application you will be asked to include a Contribution to Diversity and Inclusion statement.
For questions about the UC recruiting process or to request accommodations with the application, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com
The University of Cincinnati is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer / Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran.
SF:OMJ SF:RM SF:HEJ, SF:INS SF:HERC SF:DIV SF:LJN SF:IHE