LEARNING DESIGNER, BU Virtual Tracking Code23500494201003Job Description
Boston University Virtual is a new unit at Boston University focused on the creation of high-quality online degree and certificate programs. We are seeking a seasoned Learning Designer to work collaboratively with faculty, subject matter experts and the broader learning design team to design, develop and deliver high-quality, differentiated online programs at scale.
The Learning Designer has a broad range of skills in designing and developing online programs and courses across disciplines and in a global setting. They are well versed in program design and development, learner journey mapping, establishment of objectives and course outcomes, rubrics, creation and curation of compelling and differentiated content and resources, and adherence to learning science and quality standards.
The ideal candidate has worked extensively in a dynamic online environment and has a passion for creating meaningful learning experiences in a digital world. This individual also has the ability to lead, collaborate and influence across teams and in sessions that involve stakeholders across a variety of academic and industry sectors to deliver on a common vision and to drive alignment and strong execution in the creation of best-in-class programs.
This is a tremendous opportunity to join a growing team, and to have an instrumental role in the design and development of an online portfolio of programs.
- Collaborate and lead the instructional design and program development activities, working with a broad range of stakeholders including faculty, learning designers, subject matter experts, learning facilitators, media producers, and others on the design, delivery and ongoing improvement of online programs and courses.
- Ensure that instructional goals and objectives are in place and connected across courses and programs – and align the learning to those goals.
- Develop common frameworks that may include objectives, skills mapping, grading, assessments, rubrics, and other components.
- Create engaging learning experiences and compelling course content that enhances student knowledge, and application, and in ways that promote student engagement.
- Visualize instructional graphics and design exercises, simulations, audio, video and activities that leverage the digital world, and enhance the student experience.
- Apply proven pedagogical and instructional guidance in the design, delivery and enhancement of online programs and courses – both for synchronous and asynchronous delivery.
- Guide faculty through the design and development process including writing learning objectives and course outlines, script development, assessment and assignment creation, media planning and visual storyboards.
- Cultivate collaborative and professional relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders across schools/colleges – aligning on priorities, objectives and agreed upon timelines.
- Collaborate with Media Producers in the conceptualization and design of supporting elements that augment and enhance the program and learner experience.
- Ensure all programs and courses meet accessibility standards and support an environment that promotes diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong familiarity and experience working with education technology tools and technologies including content management systems, learning management systems, collaboration tools, and others that enable the creation of a quality online learning environment.
- Play a key role in documenting and updating standards for designing and developing programs and courses; keep abreast of new pedagogies and instructional design techniques in online learning.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor’s Degree in instructional design, education technology or related field required. Master's Degree preferred.
- 5-7 years of hands-on experience in the design, development, and delivery of digital instructional content; experience with graduate or professional students is a plus.
- Proven experience working in instructional design and with instructional technology, preferably in an online college, edtech or university environment.
- Demonstrated ability to apply instructional design principles, learning theory, and educational technologies in the design and development of learning experiences.
- Strong writing and visual design conceptualization skills – the ability to storyboard concepts and approaches to bring learning alive in an online environment. Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, and audio/video scripts.
- Sound understanding of lesson and curriculum planning – and the implications design details have on course delivery for large online cohort-based programs.
- Experience working with digital content creation tools, education technology tools, learning management systems across the online learning ecosystem.
- High attention to detail, and the ability to manage and navigate success in an environment where there may be conflicting priorities.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; an ability to lead and influence teams in a highly collaborative environment, while also demonstrating hands-on skills.
- Ability to adapt to change and steer new models and approaches in a dynamic and fast paced environment.
- A strong team player and problem solver with a bias for action and delivering on results.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, natural or protective hairstyle, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job LocationBOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular