Equine and Farm Animal Veterinary TechnicianAnticipated Hiring Range:
$45,000 - $50,000Work Schedule:
3:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m., Wednesday through SundayJob Location:
CVM Teaching HospitalAbout the Department:
The NC State Veterinary Hospital (VH), established in 1983, is one of the highest rated veterinary academic medical centers in the country, serving communities throughout North Carolina as well as many other states. The hospital staffs over twenty clinical services with board-certified specialists that are nationally and even internationally renowned, ensuring the VH is on the cutting edge of veterinary medicine. Patients benefit from the combined expertise of multiple specialists utilizing a team approach to patient health care. Each year, nearly 35,000 patients are treated in the VH. The VH provides compassionate care, state of the art specialty health care, expert clinical instruction for 4th-year veterinary students from the College of Veterinary Medicine, and ongoing investigation of innovative techniques and procedures to further advance the field of veterinary medicine.Essential Job Duties:
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Provide technical support for all Equine and Farm Animal Veterinary Center patients.
- Directly responsible for all hourly treatments, monitoring, and husbandry care.
- Responsible for triage and treatment of emergency caseload.
- Assist veterinarians with examinations, treatments, animal handling, and restraint.
- Assist with teaching of students, interns, and house officers of all aforementioned duties.
- Maintain supplies and equipment, including repair schedules.
- Participate in on call schedule, weekend rotations, and holiday rotations as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all Infectious Disease protocols.
- Assist with inventory control, correct billing, supply ordering/purchasing, monitoring flow sheets for accuracy, and ensuring effective communication and collaboration with all ancillary services and other areas of the hospital.
Duties as assignedMinimum Experience/Education:
Completion of an accredited training program in the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Other Required Qualifications:
Some positions may require additional Training, Certifications, or Licensure.
- Large animal handling experience.
- Ability to work with or around sick animals, potentially hazardous materials, cleaning chemicals, gas anesthetics, zoonotic diseases, and unpleasant odors.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively at all times and maintain professionalism in emotionally charged / challenging situations.
- Ability to provide high quality customer service.
- Ability to lift up to 70 pounds.
- Ability to work beyond scheduled work hours when needed.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and be an active participant in problem solving and team advancement.
- Ability to work effectively with computers and electronics.
- Ability to maintain physical work for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work independently and practice good judgment to ensure high-quality care for all patients and request assistance when needed.
Required License or Certification:
- Registered Veterinary Technician in the state of NC.
- Experience as an equine technician in a clinical setting; preferably referral / tertiary care.
- Experience as a technician in a veterinary teaching facility.
NC Driver’s License is required and will need to be obtained within 60 days of hire and maintained throughout employment.Valid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
09/29/2023Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
10/06/2023Notice to Applicants:
Please note that the work history on your resume must also be included in your application.Special Instructions:
Along with your completed application, please include a resume and cover letter.Position Number:
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Medical Support TechnicianPosition Classification Band Level:
AdvancedPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $61,687Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal Emergencies, Non Mandatory - Emergency EventTime Limited Position:
192001 - CVM Teaching HospitalAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or email@example.com.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.