Job no: 520932
Position type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass President's Office
Campus Location: Westborough
Department: UITS-Applications Development
Categories: Information Technology
Advertised: Sep 29 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 06 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Primary Work Location:
Hybrid working environment, Westborough MA, with potential periodic travel to UMass campuses.
The University Information Technology Services (UITS) department of the University of Massachusetts is seeking an experienced Peoplesoft Application developer who wants to become part of an dynamic team of technology professionals supporting the institution's mission, “To enable UMASS to provide an affordable and accessible education of high quality and to conduct programs of research and public service that advance knowledge and improve the lives of the people of the Commonwealth, the nation and the world.”
We are transforming to adopt new capabilities such as cloud-first architecture, DevOps, and agile. We support a highly distributed and diverse environment for mission-critical systems for multiple campuses. We embrace a culture of continuous learning by fostering a growth mindset and working together to solve hard business and technology challenges, with strong leadership and coordination from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and direct report units.
*Internal candidates only*
The Principal Application Developer is expected to lead a team of developers on projects of considerable complexity as well as operational support doing significant design, analysis, and coding. They also need to be able to work independently to create detailed specifications from which application programs and reports will be written and develop new or modify existing application software.
The Principal Application Developer will possess strong leadership skills, strong analytical skills, demonstrate the ability to balance technical constraints and user requirements, and construct data and process models reflecting business requirements. The role will require working closely with the Application teams and/or Vendor partners to understand the end user requirements and to prioritize the work of the developers within the team. In some areas, design will often need to account for the impact on other complex systems. Responsibilities will also include direct input into technology decisions and/or recommendations regarding advanced tools, platforms, etc. and other tasks as assigned. Design software components and develop software specifications. Perform impact analysis and design activities for prospective upgrades and enhancements.
The Principal Application Developer participates extensively (via committee membership or individual interviewing) in the needs assessment and system requirement process of applications development. They are also responsible for helping drive adherence to and in the upkeep of SDLC processes and standards.
Required Job Skills:
Excellent demonstrated knowledge of:
- Software development lifecycle using both Agile and Waterfall concepts
- Relational databases
- Develop detailed software specifications to be used for review and to implement upgrades and enhancements.
- Ability to develop complex programs, screens, and reports and other software objects in accordance with detail specifications and in accordance with application development standards.
- Resolve software object and production problems by determining the causes and then designing and applying appropriate solutions.
Demonstrated professional proficiency with:
- Continuous learning of new skills and technologies
- Leading a team; providing feedback, guidance, mentoring and sharing knowledge with other team members
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and privacy
- Ability to act independently
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with external partners ensuring standards and best practices are adhered to
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or equivalent work experience
- Seven+ years of experience in application development
- Expert experience with Peoplesoft’s HCM platform.
- Experience of working in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in developing, enhancing and supporting departmental applications in a networked, multi-vendor diverse-platform environment.
- Excellent demonstrated Experience in PeopleSoft version 9.2 development or higher, including PeopleTools 8.56 or higher, Application Designer, Application Engine, PeopleCode, and Data Mover.
- Experience with Fluid, performance tuning and web service development.
- Expert debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- A strong working knowledge of Oracle and SQL
- Ability to accurately capture and document client/end-user requirements.
- Working knowledge of systems conversion process with ability to manage a conversion at an operational and administrative level.
- Knowledge of the Phire application for source code control and process flow.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Experience with Secure SDLC standards
Periodic evening and weekend work for planned maintenance and project work. Hybrid working environment with potential periodic travel to campuses.
Salary commensurate with experience up to $143,000.