This role is located at the MGH - Institute of Health Professions located in the historic Charlestown Navy Yard
MGH Institute of Health Professions is currently seeking to hire an Academic Support Coach for the students enrolled in the School of Nursing.
The Academic Support Coach will work closely with students to provide guidance and assistance in areas such as time management, study skills, and test-taking strategies. Additionally, the coach will help students to develop effective writing and communication skills and provide support for students who are struggling academically. The goal of this position is to help students achieve academic success and reach their full potential as healthcare professionals.
The ideal candidate for this position will have a strong background in nursing education and experience in academic coaching or tutoring. They should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work effectively with a diverse student population. Additionally, the candidate should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and be able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
Must be a Registered Nurse eligible for licensure in MassachusettsA Bachelor's degree in Nursing or a related field is required
Overall, the Academic Support Coach position at MGH IHP presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced nursing professional to make a significant impact on the education and career success of future healthcare professionals.*** .5 of the FTE is dependent upon grant funding with an expected end date of 5/31/28***
- Meet with students individually or in groups to provide academic support and coaching. Provide students instruction, coaching, and reflection on study techniques and course content.
- Develop academic plans to maintain supportive relationships with students.
- Partner with Assistant Dean for Student Success, Academic Support Coaches, and Faculty to assess and plan interventions to improve student learning outcomes and support student learning and success.
- Maintain a database of all requests for individual and group academic support and provide reports as requested. Track student progress, collect and analyze data regarding student success through to licensure or certification and analyze data for themes.
- Coordinate special events for students at risk academically.
- Create and implement success plans for students who demonstrate need based on readiness assessment.
- Identify and address academic trends in the form of outreach, workshops, or other interventions.
- Create, support, and implement opportunities that promote JEDI principles (Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusivity).
- Market Academic Support services through publications, email, office hours, and other forms of communication.
- Assist students in NCLEX preparation.
- Curate and update resources, techniques, and tools that assist in student learning needs.
- Provide students information about on- and off-site resources, including counseling services via MGB EAP/SAP.
- Represent and present Academic Support Services at information sessions, open houses, new student orientation, and other workshops.
- Attend faculty and committee meetings as assigned.
- Regularly review the need for academic support, methods of delivery, quality, and outcomes of academic support in consultation with Assistant Dean and Program Directors.
- Contribute to the creation of a culture that supports student wellness and success.
In collaboration with the School of Nursing Administrative staff, the ASC will share the following responsibilities:
- Maintain positive public relations through the provision of expert assistance. Serves as a resource regarding program details and the Institute for prospective and current students and faculty.
- Supports school wide activities as needed.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Strong organizational skills.Attention to detail.
- Ability to interact effectively with administrative, faculty, and student constituents.
- Ability to juggle multiple simultaneous projects, set priorities, and delegate tasks when necessary Proactive in developing/updating systems as needed to meet administrator's needs.
- Ability to manage multiple demands and respond to complaints from assorted constituencies.
Computer proficient, MS Office experience helpful.
- Familiar with standard office equipment; fax, copiers, multi-task telephone system.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be mobile; able to use a computer; able to communicate orally.Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.*** .5 of the FTE is dependent upon grant funding with an expected end date of 5/31/28***Primary Location:
MA-Charlestown-MGH IHPWork Locations:
MGH IHP (MGHCharlestownIHP)
36 First Avenue
Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)Schedule:
Day JobEmployee Status:
Sep 27, 2023