: Alliance for Lifelong LearningLocations:
: Skokie, ILPosted:
: Sep 27, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, assist the Manager of Volunteer and Literacy Programs in coordinating the educational activities of the program, including the monitoring of required reports, the registration of students, and the training of Literacy instructors and volunteer tutors.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the submission of registration cards, attendance sheets, midterm and final grade reports for Bridges, Family, and Literacy classes. Collect forms from instructors, review for accuracy/completeness and submit to Adult Education Supervisor of Data Collection and Alliance Registration and Records Department. Track submissions and follow up as needed.
- Help instructors with the registration and testing of Literacy, Bridges and Family Literacy students. Explain forms and process to instructors via in-person conversations, phone calls, or email.
- Enter student data into the system of record, currently ICCB Data Collection Systems (DAIS-i), and assist instructors with this process.
- Provide preliminary guidance and recommendations to instructors for selecting instructional materials that best fit a student's individual needs. Partner with Manager of Volunteer and Literacy Programs for more complex consultations.
- Assist with the recruitment and orientation of Literacy instructors and volunteer tutors by screening resumes, participating in interviews, and presenting informational sessions and workshops.
- Using existing content, co-present workshops with the Manager of Literacy and Volunteer Programs on topics such as testing procedures and instructional practices.
- Assist with teacher evaluations by observing classes, providing feedback to the Manager of Literacy and Volunteer Programs, and attending individual teacher conferences.
- Provide feedback to assist the Manager of Literacy and Volunteer Programs in ongoing assessment of curriculum and materials.
- Participate in Literacy Advisory Committee meetings, conferences, and relevant workshops and advisory groups.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Hiring Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- Bachelor's degree in Education or a related field is required.
- Three years adult literacy teaching experience is required.
- Advanced verbal and written English skills are required
- Ability to enter, retrieve and manipulate data on a PC is required.
- Ability to be trained on, and use, system of record; currently ICCB Data Collection Systems (DAIS-i).
- General office environment. Little or no exposure to adverse working conditions.
Administrative supervision is received from the Manager of Volunteer and Literacy Programs.
HOURS: Monday - Friday - 9:00 am - 2:00 pm (25 hours per week). Some evening and weekend hours will be needed to conduct testing, registration and visit literacy sites at local libraries. Must be able to get to multiple sites in the Oakton district.
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have hybrid schedule options available after 30 days.
*This is a Grant Funded Position*
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select About and the Employment.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application.
Oakton College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.