Windows Systems Administrator IIIAgency
Texas A&M University - CommerceDepartment
Chief Information OfficerProposed Minimum Salary
Commerce, TexasJob Type
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process the “My Experience” page has a section provided “Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.)” to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
- Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document, instead please email HR for help.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required upon acceptance of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective staff member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
If you need assistance, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.eduSUMMARY:
The Systems Administrator III, under direction, performs complex and specialized systems administration support functions, such as troubleshooting, analysis, research, de-bugging, and problem-solving. With a focus on Windows environments, the incumbent will be responsible for installation, configuration, and support of the institution’s physical and server and security infrastructure, including effective management of server/network technical environment and security administration, and server/storage administration. Responsible for the tactical planning, daily management, security, configuration changes, and disaster recovery of the server environment and its associated services. The individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation and efficiencies within the environment.DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, installs, configures, upgrades, tests and maintains the directory and enterprise applications such as Domain Controllers, Web, Database, Email, Security, Logging, Monitoring and Print Servers.
- Plans, installs, configures, upgrades, tests, and maintains server clusters running VMWare’s vSphere Infrastructure.
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks and operating and system management systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendor.
- Creates or modifies scripts/ programs that enhance or automate processes that support IT services.
- Responsible for enterprise backup systems including daily operation, configuration and maintenance.
- Participate in disaster recovery planning, testing and response
- Perform specified supplier management functions such as support and maintenance interaction notification
- processing (maintenance windows, outages, security patches)
- Produce appropriate documentation for application deployment, configuration, and related processes.
- Provide a point of escalation and support to other IT departments.
- Occasional local travel and participation in the on-call rotation and escalation for evenings, weekends and holidays
- Participate in overnight or weekend maintenance activities, as required.
- Work as a technical resource on assigned projects.
- Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
- This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
- Education: Bachelor's degree in applicable field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience/ Knowledge/ Skills: Five (5) years of related experience. Knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications. Knowledge of troubleshooting and problem-solving, client relations, requirement assessment and analysis, project management methodology, context and interrelationships, and the Information Technology Interface Library (ITIL).
- Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others.
- Licensing/Professional Certifications: None
- Physical Requirements: None
- Other Requirements:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows Server operating system required.
- Strong experience in all aspects in two or more of the following environments: HP Data Protector, Microsoft Active Directory, MS-IIS application deployment, MS Exchange, MS-Sharepoint, Distributed File Systems, or MS-SQL required.
- Windows Active Directory Knowledge as it pertains to group policy is required.
- General networking TCP/IP knowledge is required.
- Understanding of, and experience with, server-client computing and relational database environments required.
- Ability to write scripts and programs to automate functions and extract reports,
- Ability to research solutions and determine the best solution set for the assigned environment.
- Must be willing and able to learn new technologies as new products and services are adopted.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. This includes the ability to explain technical terminology to non-technical end users and create knowledge base documents.
- Must be highly self-motivated and directed. Must also possess a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation are a must.
- Should be able to work under pressure.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as required for projects or on-call rotation.
PREFERRED EDUCATION/ SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
- Working experience installing and troubleshooting server hardware such as hard drives, FC/iScsi, tape
- backup systems, network cards, memory and other expansion cards is preferred
- Proficiency with Red Hat Enterprise Linux preferred.
- Proficiency with VMWare ESX and vcenter operations preferred.
- General Unix knowledge and comfort with the Unix environment a plus.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.