As a member of the Facilities Operation, the Assistant Shop Supervisor is responsible for coordinating and supervising activities of workers engaged in construction, fabrication, installation, and repairs. This includes inspection, trouble shooting, planning, estimating, scheduling, and ensuring maintenance, repairs, and minor renovations are completed in a timely manner.
- Work with the shop supervisor to plan, schedule, and directly assign carpenter shop staff to ensure high quality work with maximum efficiency. When necessary, instruct tradesmen in proper work techniques.
- Support and enforce professional standards for quality, productivity, and customer service.
- Assist in developing short and long-term maintenance programs that will meet all university requirements within established budget and staffing limitations. Focus on preventive maintenance to minimize the need for customer requests.
- Based on knowledge of available products, assist in selecting and purchasing materials, tools and equipment that best meet shop needs.
- Coordinate and oversee carpenter shop support of special events such as reunions.
- Provide specifications and assistance to efforts outside of shop.
- Provide project estimates for customer work.
- Work with other departments and shops to ensure all necessary work is completed in accordance with established schedules and specifications and with minimum disruption to occupants.
- For contract efforts: assist in preparing specifications, solicit bids, inspect and oversee contractors to ensure full compliance with all university requirements. All purchasing and contracting will be in accordance with university regulations.
- Utilize and support the Facilities/Operations Computerized Maintenance Management System (Maximo). Use “aging reports” to minimize the number of work orders open at the end of each priority duration.
- Interpret university and department policies to workers and enforce them (e.g., safety regulations, pertinent occupational health and safety regulations, and environmental standards).
- Personally perform work and assist tradesmen if necessary.
- Must be available to supervise high volume move-in/move-out cycles, as well as weekend work including reunions/graduation.
- Provide regular performance feedback to staff and annual input to supervisor.
- Backup shop supervisor and other assistant supervisor in their absence as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Ten or more years as a journey level carpenter in all technical aspects of carpentry.
- Must have excellent leadership and managerial skills.
- Must be a people person with excellent customer service skills.
- Must be able to coordinate staff and material for maximum effectiveness while at the same time showing sensitivity to personnel and various interdepartmental issues.
- Select materials and structural units, such as lumber, prefabricated doors and cabinets of wood or plastic, paneling, and inspect them to ensure conformance with provisions of building code and local ordinance.
- Able to examine blueprints to determine dimensions of structures. Lay out floorplan and cabinetwork.
- Makes cost estimates for contracts.
- Studies production schedules and estimates worker hour requirements for completion of job assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to provide supervisory assistance to the shop supervisor and assume those responsibilities in his/her absence.
- Ability to use the web and basic programs on a personal computer.
- Ability to develop long and short-term maintenance programs to best meet university needs within available resources.
- Ability to perform and oversee assignments as well as emergency call-in needs.
- Valid driver’s license to drive university vehicles.
- High school diploma or the equivalent
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The following tasks and skills would be necessary for any person to fulfill while working in any of the job classifications within the carpenter/glazier shop:
- stand or walk up to 2 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- sit for less than 2 hours during an 8-hour day.
- operates a motor vehicle or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday).
- lift or carry up to 50 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday) and up to 100 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday).
- lift up to 50 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead and up to 100 pounds to waist height.
- use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling frequently (34 – 66% of the workday).
- bend, squat, kneel, lie down, crawl, knee stand, dig, use hammer drills, push, or pull with forces up to 100 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- climb stairs and ladders, reach overhead, push or pull with forces up to 50 pounds frequently (34 – 66% of the workday).
- work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions.
- possess ability to work at heights, physical agility and full range of motion, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeYesBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period90 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredYesValid Driver's License RequiredYes #LI-NC1