The Department of Public Safety (DPS) seeks an Assistant Security Operations Manager (ASOM). As a member of the DPS supervisory team and under the supervision of the Security Operations Manager (SOM), the ASOM provides administrative and management oversight in planning, coordinating, and supervising the security operations of all cultural property (CP) locations. Working closely with the SOM, the Art Museum Director, the University Librarian, and their designees, the ASOM has oversight of the training, directing, supervising, motivating, and scheduling of appropriate staff to meet the expectations of campus clients, DPS leadership, and the University.
The ASOM will assist and help guide the CP security officers to perform their roles in a manner that assures the protection of all cultural property and the safety and a positive experience for visitors, staff, faculty, and students during open hours and special events. The ASOM has 2 CP head security supervisors as direct reports, 5 CP security supervisors and 59 CP security officers as indirect reports. This position provides strategic guidance and ensures the work assignments and training of all assigned security staff are monitored, including planning and implementation of an ongoing program of cultural property protection and customer service topics. The ASOM takes a leading role in serving stakeholders and making them feel safe and welcome, assuring that customer service values inform and guide the work of all security staff. The ASOM must have the knowledge to learn and adhere to the University and the department’s policies and procedures, rules, and regulations and be able to hold assigned officers accountable to do the same. This position requires experience in writing policies, scheduling, designing, and implementing a training plan, and can effectively utilize CCTV, access control, and other security devices used to help protect the people, assets, and integrity of the CP buildings.
DPS is the primary department charged with creating a safe and secure environment at Princeton University. DPS operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and is comprised of over 111 staff members. The department consists of professional University police, security officers, dispatchers, and administrators dedicated to providing best-in-class service to the community. DPS was initially awarded Law Enforcement Accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) in July 2015 and has been reaccredited in 2018 and 2022. CALEA serves as the “International Gold Standard for Public Safety Agencies” and oversees a rigorous accreditation process. DPS is also accredited by the New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police (NJSACOP) in 2019 and reaccredited in 2022. The mission of DPS is to enhance the living, learning, and working experience at Princeton University by protecting life, maintaining order, and safeguarding property. We are committed to the philosophy of “Community Caretaking” and working with our students, staff, and faculty to build a lasting partnership.
Staff Development, Performance Management, Daily Operations – 55%
- Ensures cultural property security supervisors (CPSS) and cultural property (CP) staff follow DPS policies and procedures.
- Makes recommendations to improve the effectiveness and appropriateness of security operations while maintaining fiscal responsibility and following industry best practices.
- Ensures regular inspections of CP facilities by CP staff, noting risks to cultural property, safety hazards, and maintenance needs and submitting work orders to address any issues.
- Fosters an atmosphere of cooperation and collaboration between DPS and the campus community.
- Contributes to the planning, directing, and organization of operational resources to accomplish department goals and objectives for security operations at all CP locations.
- Through meetings, discussions, and directives ensures that CPSS and CP staff understand the goals and objectives of each.
- Oversees the implementation of policies and directives while balancing workflow among CPSS and CP staff.
- Provides management oversight of security operations including ensuring adequate staffing levels for regular and special events e.g., scheduling overtime, requests for time off, department-wide needs, and meeting location-specific staffing needs for all areas.
- Ensures CPSS and CP staff are versed in and apply professionally recognized standards.
- Provides management and direct supervisory oversight of CPSSs and indirectly provides leadership to CP staff.
- Continually evaluates the impact of CP staff and operations on the visitor experience and seeks new ways to improve that experience while maintaining appropriate staffing.
Event Management & Emergencies – 15%
- Attends future exhibition planning sessions as assigned by the SOM.
- Oversees security operations for large special events e.g. the annual gala.
- Attends the Event Team Meetings as assigned by the SOM.
- Coordinates security needs for all art deliveries.
- Coordinates campus collections display/needs with the Manager of Campus Collections.
- Co-chairs the Risk Management Committee along with the SOM and designees of the Art Museum Director and/or the University Librarian.
- On-call 24/7. Responds to CP emergencies such as security and fire incidents and building evacuations.
Administration – 30%
- Reviews existing policies, procedures, and schedules regularly for the best security practices for all properties.
- Follows up on any feedback, positive or negative, received by or regarding DPS and/or its security officers.
- Reviews, reconciles and approves payroll.
- Participates in the Visitor Experience Task Force.
- Manages employee training records.
- Assists in hiring selection for CP staff - security officers and supervisors.
- Covers for the SOM when they are out of town or unavailable.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent
- Three or more years of progressively responsible experience including five years of management and supervisory experience, preferably in a higher education environment and/or working with cultural property.
- Must possess physical security experience, past law enforcement, or a military background deemed equivalent to meet the requirements of the Art Museum or other Cultural Property experience is a plus.
- Ability to work on all shifts (standard work week is 40 hours), during various hours, including weekends and holidays. This is an essential personnel position.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must possess excellent interaction skills to effectively manage a diverse workforce.
- Experience in delivery, customer service, oversight, and assessment of security for CP facilities.
- Excellent communication skills in written, interpersonal, and verbal communication, including competency in English language, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Prior experience using security and life safety systems including intrusion alarms, surveillance/CCTV, visitor management, key control, and access system
- Active listening skills to develop relationships and build trust and credibility with a diverse set of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including inspiring a team, and earning and retaining the confidence of supervisors and peers.
- High level of emotional intelligence, judgment, astuteness, and strategic thinking.
- Advanced time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Must be well organized, and efficient, and maintain consistent and high attention to accuracy
- High level of self-motivation and demonstrated capacity for independent judgment, planning, evaluation, and decision-making.
- Must be efficient with different types of computer software in word processing, spreadsheets, and personal information management.
- Physical demands are more than those for sedentary or medium heavy work; must be able to remain on one's feet for a minimum of eight hours at a time with scheduled breaks.
- Must conduct oneself in a professional and efficient manner during interaction with
- Demonstrated ability:
- To collaborate, lead, and work as a part of a complex team, including strong people skills, excellent judgment, and tact.
- To work under significant time constraints and pressure to meet
- To keep a flexible schedule including additional hours outside the normal work schedule during peak work periods, special events, or emergencies.
- To prioritize a high volume of work under tight
- To manage complex logistics and meet seemingly contradictory security and customer service objectives for special events.
- Must be able to respond to serious or stressful emergency situations to assist in public information and other support activities while maintaining professional composure.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must operate a variety of machines and equipment including, but not limited to automobile, office equipment, radio, telephone, etc.
- Duties are performed in an office environment in which the individual will operate a variety of standard office equipment including a personal computer, requiring continuous and repetitive eye and arm or hand movement.
- Must be able to exert up to thirty pounds of force frequently or constantly lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- The final candidate must successfully complete a background
Cultural property protection (CPP) from the American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS)
- Physical security professional (PSP) from ASIS
- Certified Institutional Protection Manager (CIPM) from the International Foundation for Cultural Property Protection (IFCPP)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period180 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver's License RequiredYes Experience LevelAssociate #LI-JE1