The IT Support Specialist provides IT software and hardware support to faculty, staff and students of the departments they support at Princeton University. This role serves as IT support for the Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBE) & Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) Departments.
The IT Support Specialist must be familiar with a variety of technology and able to trouble-shoot and resolve issues with Windows Mac and Linux computers, printers, tablets, and smartphones. The Specialist supports customers in their office, as walk-ins and by phone or video conference using remote support tools. In their support of CBE and CEE, the IT Support Specialist will also be called on to support and assist with special technology requests, such as AV system setup and troubleshooting.
● Support department Windows, Mac, and Linux computers, mobile devices, and other technology (such as printers and copiers)● Install, configure, and upgrade OS/software to maintain compliance and security● Troubleshoot and resolve general user-reported technology issues, escalating resolution to senior IT staff and/or central IT support resources as needed● Provide general support for campus infrastructure systems, including Active Directory, storage, email, backup, and encryption● Monitor department requests for IT support in the University’s service management system (ServiceNow) and respond in the system with timely and detailed communications and updates● Provide basic support for campus collaborative applications, including Microsoft 365, SharePoint, Teams and OneDrive; Google Applications; and Zoom● Provide general support for the University’s teaching and learning applications and tools, including Canvas● Provide general consultation on computer replacement options with department faculty and staff and procure and set up new computers per standard guidelines● Provide general support for department classroom and meeting room A/V equipment● Adhere to and meet established Service Level Agreements
● Support asset life-cycle management for department technology, including maintaining accurate database records, acting on refresh notifications, and recovering/retiring devices within expected timeframes● Review available service management metrics and dashboards to ensure service standards are continually met or exceeded
Department-Specific Technology Support:
● Support specialized technology for department/program events, such as A/V support
Building Community Support:
● Share best practices and knowledge with other IT support colleagues ● Provide suggestions for new Knowledge topics, as well as improvement or correction when needed● Partner with other IT and central IT colleagues to foster a community of IT support
● A minimum of 3 years experience providing technical support● In-depth knowledge of Windows and Mac computers and OS, as well as smartphones such as iPhone/iPad and Android devices● Basic understanding of Linux OS● Basic Knowledge of Network Area Storage Devices● Understanding of and experience supporting Active Directory● Understanding of security fundamentals and best practices in computing● Experience supporting email client (Outlook, MacMail, Thunderbird, and Gmail) setup and general trouble-shooting on computers and mobile devices● Experience supporting Microsoft Office● Experience supporting printing and networking● A commitment to professional and courteous customer service● Ability and interest to keep up to date with the latest trends in personal computing and mobile technology● Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and work independently in a fast-paced environment• Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgement and make decisions based on established policies and procedures● Demonstrate successful organizational and interpersonal skills; including clear, concise and timely written and verbal communications with faculty, students, researchers and staff at all levels● Willingness to work toward mastery of new technologies and skills as campus IT needs or the University/OIT direction changes● Ability to navigate campus to attend meetings and trainings both on and off main campus ● Ability to lift 25 to 50 lbs. (e.g., computer equipment)● Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
● A+, MCP, MCSE, Apple and/or MCSA certifications● Previous experience as a Mac Genius, or similar, supporting a MacOS environment ● Previous experience with Linux OS● Experience providing technology support for a mid- or large-sized organization● Experience with Jamf, Intune, ServiceNow, Bomgar, and/or Drupal● Previous experience providing support in a higher education setting● Knowledge of scripting languages such as VBScript, PowerShell, and/or Apple script● Familiarity with conference room audio-visual equipment.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period180 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo Experience LevelAssociate#Ll-DP