As a member of Facilities Operation, the Lead Maintenance Mechanic will assume technical responsibility for leading a crew of multi-trade maintenance mechanics in the completion of maintenance, repair and alteration to laboratory and administrative spaces. The incumbent will promptly resolve problems that arise, assure work is performed in a safe and proper manner and will communicate work status with customers and supervisor. The Lead Maintenance Mechanic shall have a good knowledge of carpentry, plumbing, pipefitting, HVAC and electrical trades. The Lead Maintenance Mechanic must follow University safety rules and regulations at all times.
With minimal supervision, the incumbent shall perform the following duties and responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
- Assists and supports the Supervisor in organizing, training, and leading shop personnel to ensure high quality work with maximum efficiency and adherence to safe work practices.
- Assume the duties of Shop Supervisor when requested.
- Safely and effectively performs and leads journey-level maintenance to a wide range of building systems and components, including but not limited to tasks in the HVAC, plumbing, pipefitting, electrical, painting, carpentry, and mechanical disciplines, with some work assignments occurring in laboratories and animal research areas. In emergency and urgent situations, takes immediate steps to contain the problem and restore system to good working order.
- Works independently off written and electronic work orders from the University Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS), accepting responsibility for work assignments. Fully documents record of maintenance activity in the CMMS (Maximo).
- Ensures proper care in the safe use and maintenance of equipment and tools necessary to perform all assigned tasks. Follows department safety standards.
- Reads, understands, and interprets construction and equipment related documents, such as drawings, equipment manuals, and procedures.
- Adheres to the department’s safety policy and procedures.
- Communicates in a clear, courteous, and effective manner (verbally and in writing) to co-workers, campus customers, customer service center, staff, and management.
- Assist other trades personnel with complex project work.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including overtime, after hours, special events, and emergency call back work. During emergencies, the Lead Mechanic may be classified as a Core Essential Employee.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the duties satisfactorily. The qualifications and skills listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required for the position.
- Must possess the ability to lead, motivate and direct groups of journey level trade personnel.
- Possess a High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years journey level trades experience and possess the ability to perform as a journey level mechanic in one of the following core technical trades: HVAC, Plumbing, Pipefitting or Electrical. In the trade in which the mechanic is journey level, the mechanic shall be capable of performing the full technical range of the trade work.
- Completion of vocational/technical education or equivalency in education and experience, resulting in journey level skill status in one of the core technical trades (listed in qualification #3).
- Possess understanding and capability to perform all essential duties in a safe and efficient, and responsible manner.
- Possess ability to perform maintenance activities in areas such as laboratories and animal research facilities.
- Possess strong trouble shooting capability and the ability to analyze equipment performance issues.
- Possess the ability to understand technical drawings and equipment service manuals.
- Must have excellent ability and interpersonal skills to work both independently and with other trades personnel and customers.
- As a core essential employee, the incumbent must be available for after hours and emergency call back work, which may involve the carrying of a cell phone.
- Must communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to study, comprehend, and effectively utilize campus and departmental technology and computerized software systems.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements listed below.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- stand or walk 2 - 4 hours at one time, up to 6 -8 hours per day;
- sit for less than 2 hours during an 8-hour day;
- operates motor vehicles or heavy equipment (e.g., forklift, high reach, cherry picker) occasionally (less than 33% of the workday)
- lift or carry up to 80 pounds occasionally (less than 33% of the workday);
- lift up to 80 pounds to waist height and up to 35 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead:
- frequently use hands for simple grasping, fine manipulation, pushing or pulling (34 – 66% of the workday);
- occasionally push or pull with forces up to 80 pull, squat, kneel, knee stand, dig, use jack hammer or chipping tools, lie down, or lift overhead (less than 33% of the work day);
- frequently push or pull with forces up to 35 pounds, bend, climb ladders or stairs, or reach overhead (34 – 66% of the work day);
- work outdoors in a variety of temperatures and environmental conditions;
- possess ability to work at heights, full range of body motions and physical agility, and ability to maintain balance.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeYesBenefits EligibleYesProbationary Period90 daysEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredYesValid Driver's License RequiredYes #LI-NC1