The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business at Buena Vista University (BVU) seeks a dynamic teacher who is committed to excellence in undergraduate accounting education with an emphasis on data analytics. The successful candidate will teach a variety of courses in the undergraduate curriculum in accounting, data analytics, and business, consistent with their credentials and interests. This new position offers the opportunity to serve as a key faculty member in the program, working collaboratively to develop and guide the expansion of the program’s offerings to prepare students for the accounting profession and CPA and CMA licensures.
The Accounting major in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is designed to develop in students strong analytical, interpersonal, and professional skills grounded in a comprehensive understanding of contemporary business. The curriculum emphasizes experiential learning through opportunities such as internships, practicums, attendance at professional conferences, and partnering with faculty on research.
The Harold Walter Siebens Forum and the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business recently completed a $15.1 million-dollar renovation project to include state-of-the-art classrooms, a trading room, and refreshed office, gathering, and dining spaces. The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is an endowed school whose generous donors make it possible to support excellent value-added learning and professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
- Teach 12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters, with a potential course release for work in the online program
- Develop innovative accounting and data analytics courses to prepare students for CPA Evolution
- Work to incorporate experiential learning opportunities into classes and the student experience
- Practice quality interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Function independently and work effectively as a team member
- Possess ability and willingness to work with diverse populations
- Supervise, mentor, and advise students and student organizations
- Remain active and current in the field through professional development activities
- Be responsible for University services such as committee work and participation in departmental projects
- Assist in recruitment of students to the University
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, Business Analytics, Data Analytics, or a closely related field (non-tenure track)
- Ability to teach a variety of courses in accounting, business data analytics, and business majors
- Ability to teach, advise, and guide the professional development of students
- Ability to build connections with professionals in the industry
- D. or D.B.A. in Accounting, Business Analytics, Data Analytics, Business, or closely related field that includes at least 18 graduate credits in accounting or related area (tenure track or non-tenure track, depending on candidate’s qualifications and interests)
- Certification as a CPA or CMA
- Experience teaching at the post-secondary/university level
- Experience teaching courses in face-to-face and online settings
- Relevant professional experience in business and accounting
This position is not eligible for an employer-sponsored visa and all applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
To apply, please submit:
- a letter of application detailing your qualifications and interest in the position
- graduate school transcripts (photocopies acceptable with application; official copies will be required for appointment),
- Curriculum vitae including a list of courses taught
- Contact information for three professional references (including title, address, e-mail address, and phone number).
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate. Buena Vista University is an EOE/ADA/Smoke-Free Employer and especially welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to any aspect of the university’s diversity.
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake, you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most importantly, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at BVU.edu/StormLake.