Job no: 520753
Work type: Senior/Research Fellow (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Biostatistics & Epidemiology
Union: Non-Unit Exempt
Categories: Research, School of Public Health & Health Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the supervision of a faculty member, the Research Fellow - Research Software Engineer will conduct and supervise research software development projects in collaboration with scientists and public health officials.
Researchers at the Reich Lab (http://reichlab.io/) are leaders in the field of forecasting the future progression of infectious disease. The lab directed the US COVID-19 Forecast Hub, a global collaborative research initiative (https://covid19forecasthub.org/) and is currently leading the development of the Hubverse (https://hubdocs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/), a new project with a goal of creating a set of open-source tools that makes it easy to run and maintain collaborative modeling hubs. With funding from the CDC, our group has developed close collaborative relationships with many academic groups and public health agencies at the US state, national and international levels.
Our group is seeking to hire a full-time Research Software Engineer (RSE) to support the Hubverse development efforts, and other software-related projects from the lab. Duties will include working collaboratively with Reich Lab members, as well as academic groups and public health officials from around the world to build a suite of R and Python libraries, and other web infrastructure, that support the goals of the Hubverse and the lab. The RSE will be expected to contribute to the design, planning and execution of projects involving software development and/or computational research experiments.
The successful candidate will be expected to follow good software engineering and reproducible research practice and disseminate this practice to collaborating partners, to keep abreast of developments in techniques and technology, to take responsibility for their own self development in technical, scientific and specialist knowledge, and to plan and manage work priorities to ensure project deliverables and other deadlines are met. Individuals interested in working remotely will be considered, with 1-2 trips per year expected for in-person collaboration.
- Working collaboratively on the development, documentation, release, and maintenance of software packages and applications from the lab.
- Building and maintaining open-source web architecture to have model code run on schedule, in containers.
- Assisting in writing vignettes, technical reports, software documentation, research proposals, and research papers.
- Code reviews and mentoring for students and staff conducting computational research projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- 2+ years of experience developing, maintaining, and deploying software and web applications and software.
- Experience using and writing code collaboratively on version control systems such as GitHub, BitBucket, etc.
- Expertise with R and Python programming languages, including package/library development and maintenance.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience with continuous integration servers and containerization of modeling code both a plus, but not required.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, such as AWS or similar, is a plus but not required.
- Experience mentoring software developers and/or performing code reviews is a plus but not required.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday - Friday, variable.
- The University offers a competitive salary with an attractive benefits package.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 25 2023 Eastern Daylight Time