: Binghamton, NYPosted:
: Sep 21, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full-timeRef. No.:
: 00730Position ID:
About Binghamton University:
Binghamton University is a premier public R1 research institution in the State University of New York (SUNY) system that unites more than 130 broadly interdisciplinary educational programs with some of the most vibrant research in the nation. Our unique character - shaped by our mission, outstanding academics, facilities, and community life - promotes extraordinary student success, research, and service; Binghamton University is where our students, faculty and staff thrive.
Working at Binghamton University is more than about having a great job - it is about having the opportunity to flourish in an exciting, engaging environment. Our faculty and staff appreciate Binghamton's collegial and inclusive culture and its commitment to excellence, education, innovation and civic engagement. Our diverse campus community contributes to our success.
Binghamton merges rigorous academics, distinguished faculty, exceptional staff, and ultramodern facilities to engage and challenge its 18,000+ students. The high-achieving Binghamton student body also represents a great diversity of life experiences, from first- generation college-goers to international students. Beyond their talent, these classmates share a desire to shape the future through technology, insight, intellectual exploration, and community service.
We are an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and in keeping with this commitment, we welcome all to apply, including veterans and persons with disabilities.
Budget Title: Senior Staff Assistant (SL-3)
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Student Affairs Assessment and Solutions for Engagement (SAASE) at Binghamton University is seeking a research analyst/analysis developer to join the office. The research analyst/analysis developer will:
- Write SQL queries and rest API calls to pull and integrate data from various university systems and cloud-based applications.
- Develop scripts to reshape, manipulate, and clean data to prepare it for analysis.
- Develop flexible, reproducible markdown reports and other data products that streamline reporting for the office/division.
- Create visualizations and other data summaries to provide insights to university stakeholders.
- Conduct rigorous statistical analysis using quantitative research methods.
- Work with various university datasets and systems including, but not limited to, survey data, enrollment data, demographic data, involvement data, operational data, and data from various other university systems and Student Affairs platforms.
- Share new techniques and best practices for implementing replicable, flexible, and sustainable data analysis practices internally within SAASE.
- Design data collection efforts that are of interest to divisional stakeholders.
- Work with various Student Affairs units and other university partners to understand their data needs and develop novel research/assessment questions to address those needs.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- Master's degree in a quantitative social science (psychology, sociology, economics, political sciences, etc.) data analytics, statistics, data science, computer science, or other related field. Applicants currently pursuing a master's degree in a related field that will be completed by summer 2024 are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong knowledge of social science research methods/design and the ability to answer research and assessment questions.
- Demonstrated experience creating reproducible markdown reports using R.
- Advanced knowledge of the R programming language (tidyverse), SQL and other data analysis and data extraction tools and methods.
- Strong understanding of quantitative analysis, data science, and statistics and the ability to apply these methods to various research and assessment questions.
- Strong understanding of relational databases and tidy data structure.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and present complex research projects in a clear and concise fashion to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
Binghamton University is a tobacco-free campus.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com
Payroll information can be found on our website https://www.binghamton.edu/offices/human-resources/payroll/
Cover letters may be addressed "To the Search Committee."
Postings active on the website, accept applications until closure.
For information on the Dual Career Program, please visit:
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
The State University of New York is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Binghamton University to provide for and promote equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination on the basis of age, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military service member status, marital status, domestic violence victim status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, or arrest and/or criminal conviction record unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification or other exception.
As required by Title IX and its implementing regulations Binghamton University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in the educational programs and activities which it operates. This requirement extends to employment and admission. Inquiries about sex discrimination may be directed to the University Title IX Coordinator or directly to the Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Contact information for the Title IX Coordinator and OCR, as well as the University's complete Non-Discrimination Notice may be found here.
All applicants must apply via Interview Exchange: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/candapply.jsp?JOBID=167762
Deadline for Internal Applicants: October 10, 2023
Deadline for External Applicants: Open until filled
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the vacancy is filled.
- Cover letter, and
- Contact information for three professional references
You may add additional files/documents after uploading your resume. After you fill out your contact information, you will be directed to the upload page. Please login to check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents: http://binghamton.interviewexchange.com/login.jsp.