Job no: 520805
Position Type: Staff Full Time
Campus: UMass Boston
Department: One Stop Student Serv Ctr
Pay Grade: 30
Date opened: 26 Sep 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 11 Oct 2023 Eastern Daylight Time
One Stop Service Advisors perform a vital role in assisting and educating students to navigate administrative processes related to financial aid, billing, and registration. They will provide convenient and thorough support and care through a variety of service channels including walk-in, phone, email, live chat and virtual meetings. They will be available to teach students how to access and use technology for self-service and will provide basic advising and information on university programs, requirements, academic policies, and student rights and responsibilities. They will work with students to solve problems related to systems, policies, or procedures, especially the most complicated or those that overlap a variety of administrative areas, are dynamic and interconnected. The Service Advisor will leverage university resources, attend trainings and meetings, read emails and updates, and utilize the university website to ensure that they are aware of policy/practice changes, important dates and deadlines, and opportunities for students. Given the frontline nature of the Service Advisors role, they will also provide valuable feedback and contribute to quality control, improving communications, policy review and revision and make recommendations on opportunities to improve the administrative experience for students.
Examples of Duties:
Provide services to students to introduce them to the UMass Boston administrative policies and procedures and to assist them in accessing the information and related services using student systems and technology
- Expose and train students to the features and services available to them via student information system including but not limited to: health insurance waiver, bio/demo information updates and changes, enrollment verifications, transcript requests, financial aid information, to-do lists, payment plans, account summary, grade information, course registration, Direct Loan Entrance Counseling and/or Master Promissory Note.
- Introduce and refer students to UMass Boston services in advising, career counseling, internship, student life, student employment and housing, etc.
- Provide information on student IDs, parking passes, MBTA passes and other programs that support student connections to the campus.
- Educate students regarding loan adjustments, excess funds, direct deposit, and financial aid book advances
- Assist with FAFSA submission and corrections, FAFSA ID and password, IRS retrieval, verification, special circumstances appeal, and SAP appeal process
- Maintain compliance as necessary with FERPA and other federal and state regulations
- Actively contribute to the improvement of delivery of services, dissemination of information and student satisfaction Vacant Enrollment Management, One Stop Center 2/2/2022
- Provide general information on financial aid eligibility and application requirements, gift aid and loan programs
- Assist students via in person, email, chat, phones, and scheduled ZOOM appointments
- Solve problems related to systems, policies, or procedures, especially the most complicated or those that overlap a variety of administrative areas, are dynamic and interconnected.
- The successful candidate will have five years of experience in student and/or enrollment services working directly with students in an advising or informing role.
- Must have experience working in a diverse student and staff environment and demonstrate a commitment to supporting a variety of student populations.
- Must be able to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment as a member of a team of service professionals
- Must have technical competence and an ability to understand the "big picture" as well as the details of complicated systems and issues.
- Must be able to manage significant amounts of information and data.
- Must have extensive experience and demonstrated success in service delivery and problem resolution
- Must be able to exercise good judgment, be responsive and courteous, and student service oriented at all times
- Must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, discretion and resourcefulness in order to interact effectively with students, family members, and the general public as well as with representatives from other departments or institutions
- Must have a working knowledge of FERPA compliance and other federal and state relations
- Must be able to work in a busy, high volume environment managing multiple service channels
- Must be able to work flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends as needed
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link:
This is an exempt union position.
All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.
UMass Boston is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations for the hiring process. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact the ADA/504 Coordinator Andrea Haas or 617-287-5148.
Applications close: 11 Oct 2023 Eastern Daylight Time