Academic Advisor I - Pre-Professional
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.Location
Statesboro Campus - Statesboro, GADepartment Information
Pre-Med/Hlth Prof Advsemnt CtrJob Summary
The Academic Advisor I for the Office of Pre-Professional Advisement serves as frontline contact for dual-enrolled, undergraduate, and post-baccalaureate students for developmental academic and professional graduate programs advising to drive engagement and empower students to achieve their goals. The pre-professional advisor builds formative relationships with students by interpreting information concerning course descriptions, program requirements, prerequisites, and application processes for the graduate professional program of their choice. Fulfills a vital role in maximizing students' persistence to graduation and then acceptance to professional programs. This position has been identified by Federal Law (Jeanne Clery Act) as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), with significant student and campus responsibilities. CSA's are obligated to report crimes reported to them which occurred on campus, in public areas bordering campus and in certain non-campus buildings owned or controlled (leased) by the University.Responsibilities
Required Qualifications Educational RequirementsRequired Experience
- Advise students on academic requirements and extracurricular strategies for a competitive application to graduate health professions programs and law schools
- Conduct regular reviews of professional school requirements and revise program requirements, resources, and advising strategies as needed
- Coordinate and execute information and interest sessions, professional development workshops, recruitment events, and professional school site visits
- Conduct promotional activities to increase student, staff, and faculty engagement with the Office of Pre-Professional Advising
- Support students in the establishment of academic and career goals; and identify challenges that may negatively impact student success
- Comply with and enforce student privacy regulations such as FERPA
- Develop and maintain student files and records
- Represent center, unit, and university at institutional meetings and events as assigned
- Monitor student academic progress, assist with developing an academic schedule and make referrals to services offered on-campus
- Assist advising unit on special projects or tasks as assigned/approved by supervisor
Preferred Qualifications Preferred Educational Qualifications Proposed Salary
- One (1) or more years of related work experience
$45,000This is an exempt position paid on a monthly basis.Required Documents to Attach
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities ABILITIES
- Cover Letter
- Two (2) Professional References
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Ability to support various constituencies served by the University
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure sensitive information
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Knowledge of resources available to students
- Knowledge of advisement theory and practices
Apply Before Date
- Effective communication (verbal and written), organizational and human relations skills
October 16, 2023 Application review may begin on October 2, 2023.Contact Information
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or email@example.com
.Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Legally authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the University.
Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
Proof of valid driver's license upon hire and throughout employment.
See position description for complete Conditions of EmploymentEqual Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.Other Information
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable
- May be required to maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds with or without reasonable
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours
- Evening and weekend work may be required
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Travel required
- Ability to drive University vehicles
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=264005&PostingSeq=1
- Standard + Education & DMV
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency