Business: Contract Instructor-College Credit
San Diego Community College District
San Diego Mesa College
From San Diego Mesa College President Ashanti Hands:
San Diego Mesa College seeks energetic and dedicated candidates to apply for academic positions. The College is committed to academic excellence and diversity, equity, and inclusion among its faculty, classified professionals, staff, and students. As the “Leading College of Equity & Excellence”, we take responsibility for equitable outcomes and successful pathways for all of our students.
As the largest college in the San Diego Community College District, the institution enjoys a solid financial standing, state-of-the-art facilities, and a world-class faculty, classified professionals, and staff. For 59 years, Mesa College has been on the leading edge, from offering a Community College Bachelor's Degree, to being a lead California Community College in graduating students with an Advanced Degree for Transfer. We embrace the mission of community colleges and are committed to empowering our students to maximize their potential, leading to healthy and thriving Communities.
We are adding new staff, classified professionals, faculty, and administrators who, alongside our stellar colleagues, will lead us into the future. If this opportunity sounds like the right fit for you, I encourage you to file an application for employment.
Applications are now being accepted for the position of Assistant Professor, Business, beginning Spring 2024 (January 16, 2024) at San Diego Mesa College.
The Business Assistant Professor is both an experienced educator and a knowledgeable professional who employs equitable teaching pedagogy to convey the technical and workplace skills of the industry for the success of students. This position has an emphasis in teaching Business Law and works collaboratively with other Business faculty to maintain instructional currency and contemporary expertise. The Business Assistant Professor also has a leadership role for the Real Estate program. This includes assisting with curriculum, student learning outcomes, adjunct faculty evaluations, program review, advisory committee, and other roles as needed. The teaching assignment will consist of a minimum of 15 class hours per week, primarily in Business Law, both on-campus and online classes, and may include day, evening and weekend hours. Additional responsibilities of Mesa College tenured/tenure-track faculty include but are not limited to maintaining regular office hours for student advisement, curriculum review and development, departmental projects and events, reports, program review, learning outcomes, special activities, serving on College and District committees, and participating in various college activities.
While the current vacancy is at Mesa College, applicants should understand that they are subject to assignment at any District facility at the option of the Chancellor.
Under the direction of the School Dean, the faculty member will implement educational program courses, experiences, and services that will directly aid students in achieving educational objectives; maintain regular office hours; perform extensive advising of students; assist in curriculum development and planning; and participate in professional development activities.
The Assistant Professor of Business reports to the Dean of Business and Technology. The faculty member will implement educational program courses, experiences, and services that will directly aid students in achieving educational objectives. Major responsibilities include:
- Teach college-level lecture courses in Business and Real Estate topics using traditional and alternative methods of instruction.
- Utilize instructional knowledge and methods of the discipline that enhance student learning and adapt to diverse learning styles.
- Advise and assist students in education and career development.
- Maintain regular offices hours.
- Work collaboratively with department and interdisciplinary faculty to plan, develop, implement, and assess curriculum in Business and Real Estate that will provide technical/professional training and preparation for career pathways.
- Conduct learning outcomes assessment, adjunct faculty evaluations, program review, advisory committee meetings, and other departmental and program roles as needed.
- Utilize industry expertise and maintain currency in the field, and technology innovations for instructional delivery and the revision and development of courses.
- Participate in professional learning activities.
- Collaborate and integrate with industry, community, and professional organizations on curriculum, work-based learning, and partnership development.
Master’s in business, business management, business administration, accountancy, finance, marketing, or business education OR Bachelor’s in any of the above AND Master’s in economics, personnel management, public administration, or JD or LL.B. degree OR
The following are desired qualifications for the position:
Class 1, Step C – Class 6, Step C ($6,652.70– $8,490.72) per month based on the current AFT – College Faculty Tenured-Tenure Track Monthly Salary Schedule.
- Experience teaching business courses, particularly business law, at two- or four-year institutions.
- Experience teaching real estate courses.
- Current Real Estate Salesperson or Broker’s license is desired but not required.
- Evidence of integrating equitable practices in structuring, delivering, evaluating and communicating Business and/or Real Estate curriculum using innovative approaches into pedagogy/andragogy.
- Evidence of a student-centered approach to teaching, learning, and mentoring that creates humanized and equitable student experiences and outcomes.
- Evidence of experience effectively utilizing technology for various teaching methods and techniques, including online, hybrid, or hyflex, and learning management platforms.
- Evidence of commitment to remain current in the business law and real estate fields.
- Experience creating and maintaining collegial and effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the business and real estate communities.
- Ability to collaboratively work with departmental faculty to evaluate, develop, revise and implement business and real estate curriculum.
- Ability and desire to be actively involved in departmental functions and campus affairs through participatory governance.
- Experience or ability and desire to collaborate with industry, business, community, and/or professional organizations to develop partnerships, market curriculum, plan and organize work-based learning activities, and maintain an advisory committee.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
- Ability to interpret, apply, and explain regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff.
Initial salary placement for this Assistant Professor is commensurate with required education and related teaching experience as outlined in section A2.1 of the AFT Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Step C is the maximum step placement for a new hire, and this is non-negotiable at this time.
The District offers a comprehensive fringe benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision plans, sick leave, and opportunities for professional development. This position is FLSA Exempt and may not accrue overtime. Benefits will be provided under the terms of the AFT-Guild, Local 1931 – Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Annual Salaries will be recalculated for service less than a full academic year based on Education Code §87815, any required adjustment will be made within the first pay period. Travel reimbursement for interviewees traveling more than 200 miles, one-way, may be paid according to geographic location (see SDCCD Travel Stipend Policy, Rev 7/14/2011). Typically, Assistant Professors earn tenure after 4 years and promote to Associate Professor. The SDCCD Employment Web Page provides a link to employee collective bargaining agreements and handbooks, and more information about terms and conditions of employment to include salary and benefits.
To apply, visit: https://www.sdccdjobs.com
All applicants must have demonstrated cultural competency and sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency