Assistant Professor of Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience, Tenure TrackSchool of Behavioral and Social Sciences
St. Edward's University, a nationally ranked, independent Catholic university and Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) invites applications for a full-time, 9-month, tenure-track position as an assistant professor in the Department of Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience, beginning August 2024. St. Edward's is characterized by its commitment to the Holy Cross educational mission to educate the hearts and minds of a diverse student body that is deeply committed to social justice.
The successful candidate will provide high quality instruction to students in the undergraduate program, advise undergraduate students, pursue faculty development efforts, and participate in the wider life of the university and community. The successful candidate will also be expected to establish and maintain a program of research that incorporates the participation of undergraduate students as collaborators. Teaching responsibilities will include courses within the candidate's area of specialization as well as core courses within the department (e.g., Research Methods, Statistics). The area of specialization is open, and those with a degree in Clinical Psychology or a background in quantitative analysis are especially welcomed to apply.
St. Edward's University embraces excellence through diversity and especially encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented racial, ethnic, sexual, and gender minority groups. Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to supporting a diverse student body.
For consideration, a qualified candidate will have
- An earned doctorate (Ph.D.) or ABD in Psychology, Behavioral Neuroscience, or a closely related field
- Experience teaching in higher education
- A record that speaks highly of teaching abilities
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures
- Submit to and pass criminal offender records check, and sexual offender records check (S.O.R.I.)
- All new employees must complete the FERPA, Anti-Harassment, and any other required online trainings within 15 days of employment
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals
Essential Responsibilities Include:
- Teach undergraduate courses offered in Psychology (BA), Behavioral Neuroscience (BS), and the certificate program in Evidence-Based Addiction Counseling
- Candidates should have the interest and ability or potential to teach a range of undergraduate courses
- Courses will be taught in person and held on campus
- Candidates should demonstrate a commitment to supporting a diverse student body at a Hispanic Serving Institution
- Engage in professional development and service aligned with the University's mission
- Manage the learning environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing school/campus academic and attendance policies
- Maintain scheduled office hours according to university policy
- Attend necessary faculty, department, and university meetings
- Maintain appropriate standards of behavior, mutual respect, and safety in the classroom
- Stay current with best practices in teaching and learning
- Understand the role of assessment in achieving specifically stated learning outcomes
- Incorporate technology to enhance student learning
- Understand and appreciate the university's mission, purpose, and goals and the role of faculty in achieving those goals
- Attend trainings as required
- Perform any other job-related functions as assigned by the University
The University offers an excellent TOTAL REWARDS package! An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at; https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
Medical & Rx Coverage (HSA & FSA Available), Dental, Vision, Short Term Disability Insurance, Long Term Disability Insurance, Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Pet Insurance, Annual Leave & Paid Sick Leave, Retirement Plan, Tuition Benefits, Paid Holidays, and Services & Discounts
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants should apply online at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com. Application packages should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, names and contact information for three references, and a statement describing your teaching philosophy and your approach to working on projects with undergraduate students.
In addition, all applications must include a statement on how they would integrate the University's Holy Cross mission into their work. Your Mission Integration statement should be included as a separate document.
Mission Integration Statement Prompt:
St. Edward's was founded by the Congregation of Holy Cross, from which it acquired distinguishing characteristics that include the courage to take risks, an international perspective and the commitment to provide educational opportunities for students of varied cultural, religious, educational and economic backgrounds. In support of the mission, the different backgrounds of St. Edward's students, faculty and staff enrich our community and represent a significant part of our culture and commitment to excellence. We value the individual differences, life experiences, unique capabilities and innovative talent that our employees and students contribute to our vibrant academic environment. St. Edward's honors and respects all members of its community by fostering an inclusive and welcoming environment that respects the dignity and worth of each person and stresses the obligation of all people to pursue a more just world.
While serving as a faculty member at St. Edward's University, how would your individual differences, life experiences and unique capabilities contribute to the mission as described above? Describe how your prior work aligns to the university's mission.
Priority will be given to applications received by October 1; however, applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution of 2,900 undergraduate and 700 graduate students located in Austin, Texas. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st-century world. SEU is a diverse community that appreciates faculty and students from all backgrounds. Consistent with its Holy Cross heritage, the university maintains a strong commitment to diversity and global initiatives. More information about St. Edward's University may be found at www.stedwards.edu.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion St. Edwards University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures equity, respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community. For more information on our commitment to diversity, please visit our website https://www.stedwards.edu/about-us/diversity-equity-inclusion
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. We require U.S. citizenship or permanent residency for employment, and we are not offering visa sponsorship at this time.
A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.