DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH ADMINISTRATION, College of Arts & Sciences, Administration Tracking Code23500605650922Job Description
The Director of Research Administration (DRA) is responsible for overseeing and guiding research grant support activities for STEM disciplines in BU Arts & Sciences. The DRA develops and maintains College-level resources and infrastructure to assist departmental faculty and staff in developing grant proposals. The DRA works with the Dean, Senior Associate Dean of Mathematical & Computational Sciences, Associate Dean of Natural Sciences, Proposal Development Specialist, department chairs and center directors, department- and center-level pre- and post-award staff, and others to assess and refine the administration and allocation of resources for proposal development, award negotiation, and award management across the College. Additionally, the DRAs work includes identifying STEM funding opportunities; supporting the creation and execution of plans to coordinate the grant-seeking activities of multiple inter- and intra-departmental/college faculty, sometimes with institutions and/or industrial partners outside of the university; and supporting the preparation of funding proposals.
To facilitate this work, the DRA coordinates with the University's Sponsored Research Office, Foundation Relations, and Federal Relations and liaises with these offices on initiating, developing, and leveraging contacts and relationships with various government offices, foundations, companies and industries aligned with the Colleges strategic research initiatives. The DRA also liaises with College research centers dedicated to the social sciences and humanities, as appropriate.
The DRA supervises a Proposal Development Specialist who facilitates grant submissions for Arts & Sciences. The DRA provides direction, training and mentoring to pre- and post-award grants staff in departments and centers (averaging 20-25 people), and is responsible for promoting best practices for pre- and post- grant award functions for grants personnel across the College. The DRA works with department chairs and center directors to ensure that departments and centers have sufficient grants support and provides input to department/center grant administrators annual reviews. This position will report to the Associate Dean of the Faculty for Natural Sciences.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's Degree preferred.
- At least eight years of research grants administration experience in STEM fields, including experience developing multi-investigator grants in a large academic setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge of preparing successful grants for and working with STEM funding bodies.
- Ideally, experience with developing and administering research projects with industry.
- Working knowledge of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)/Uniform Guidance (UG) and Federal funding guidelines.
- Experience managing staff and providing training and mentoring on best practices in pre- and post- award functions.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Excellent management, technology, organizational, presentation, and communication skills.
- Experience with operational standards, metrics, and assessment.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrating diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in proposals and activities as well as establishing and maintaining an inclusive environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, natural or protective hairstyle, religion, sex, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, military service, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or because of marital, parental, or veteran status. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job LocationBOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular