Support StaffClassification Title:
Affiliated StaffPosition Title:
Academic Lab Safety and Facilities ManagerPosition Number:
A00580Pay Grade Level:
Biology DepartmentPosting Number:
S 121301231Full or Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Months:
The Academic Lab Safety and Facilities Manager will develop and maintain laboratory safety protocols and train faculty, staff, and students as required across all academic departments with chemical, biological or equipment safety needs. They provide support for laboratory instruction with an emphasis on supporting proper equipment use in the Natural Science division. They also provide support for equipment and lab facilities maintenance across the Natural Science division.Essential Job Functions:
Reports to Chair of the Department of Biology, working with Chemical Hygiene (in Chemistry) and EHS office (in facilities), with priorities set by Department Chairs of Laboratory and Workshop based departments – Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Physics, Psychology, and Studio Art
1. Lab Safety Management
- Regularly compile and update OSHA safety documentation relevant to each department.
- With the Chemical Hygiene Officer, make sure the Chemical Hygiene Plan is updated and reviewed by each relevant department annually and as needed.
- Develop and conduct laboratory safety training for new employees in each laboratory-based department (or coordinate with departments that do their own training).
- Develop and conduct training for student employees and student researchers.
- Develop ongoing safety communications for continuing employees.
- Perform and/or supervise monthly inspections of laboratory safety equipment.
- Maintain database of hazardous materials.
- Manage hazardous waste disposal pick-up (for departments outside Chemistry & Biochemistry, in consultation with the Chemical Hygiene Officer and the Environmental Health & Safety Officer).
2. Documentation Management
- Maintain chemical inventory for departments outside Chemistry & Biochemistry.
- Develop and maintain proper documentation for laboratory safety and chemical safety as required.
- Develop and maintain a database of laboratory equipment.
3. Lab Equipment Maintenance and Repair Oversight
- Serve as primary contact for non-functioning laboratory equipment (includes both lab infrastructure, such as autoclaves, distilled water system, ventilation hoods, etc., as well as stand-alone laboratory devices).
- Make arrangements for equipment repairs and routine maintenance (including hoods, pipetters, and microscopes).
- Monitoring essential equipment (e.g. freezers) and responding to critical outages.
- Develop relationships with equipment vendors and repair companies.
- Communicate with faculty and staff regarding equipment outages.
- Oversee decommissioning of obsolete equipment.
- Serve as point of contact for communications with Facilities Services regarding building outages, repairs, renovations.
- Bachelor’s degree with experience working in a lab
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of laboratory equipment and chemicals
- Strong organizational skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office or Google Suite
- Experience working with students
- CHO certification or other relevant training
- Strong experience with MS Office or Google Suite
- Experience with lab management software
- Experience developing or implementing training materials and programs
- Comfort with light physical work.
- Ability to lift at least 20 lbs.
Christine WeingartContact Email:
email@example.comOpen Until Filled:
YesDenison University Background Check Statement:
The final candidate will undergo a background check as a conditional offer of employment.Denison University EEO Statement :
To achieve our mission as a liberal arts college, we continually strive to attract and hire candidates with diverse backgrounds, experiences and identities. Denison fosters a campus community that recognizes the value of all persons regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender expression and identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or socio-economic background. For additional information and resources about diversity at Denison, please see our Diversity Guide (https://denison.edu/forms/diversity-guide). Denison University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.