About Baltimore City Community College
Founded in 1947, Baltimore City Community College (BCCC) is a comprehensive, urban institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College’s campus is located in West Baltimore; the institution also has several satellite locations throughout the city. With its broad range of degree and certificate programs, affordable tuition, and extensive outreach, BCCC offers educational opportunities to the citizens of Baltimore City and throughout the state of Maryland. BCCC serves nearly 14,000* students annually, providing credits that transfer to four-year colleges and universities as well as workforce training leading directly to job placement. The College is proud of the fact that nearly 90** nations are represented within the student body.
* Based on annual unduplicated credit and non-credit headcount for FY 2018.
**Based on fall 2018 credit enrollment.Requisition Number:
2023-175Posting Start Date:
Bachelors Additional Documentation:
Commensurate with Experience
Federal Work Study SpecialistDescription/Job Summary
Reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, the Federal Work Study Specialist facilitates the entire internal and external Work Study Program for the College. The staff member is routinely tasked to perform detailed work involving compliance, awarding and reconciliation of work study funds. The staff member will be responsible to assist with other aspects of the Federal and State Financial Aid programs and other duties as assigned.
- Reconcile FWS dollar amount weekly and monthly with departments and payroll. Responsible for Federal Work Study program and reconciliation.
- Supervises work study students.
- Coordinates Federal Work Study student and supervisor orientations and plans a yearly calendar of orientation dates.
- Responsible for processing and overseeing Federal Work-Study Student Employment Program including planning and implementation job postings, yearly Job Fair, assisting students with I-9 completion and other HR functions, assisting supervisors with job listings, working with Payroll Staff.
- Provide direct assistance to college stakeholders regarding financial aid regulations while ensuring that institutional policies are consistent with college goals and objectives.
- Award and adjust financial aid in accordance with federal regulations and institutional policy.
- Provide accurate and confidential financial aid counseling and guidance to students, prospective students, and parents.
- Review federal tax transcripts and other confidential financial documents to determine financial need and eligibility for federal, state, and institutional programs.
- Assist with the administration of other Federal and State aid programs
- Perform Federal verification, resolve conflicting information, exercise professional judgment, and review Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals.
- Coordinates and performs R2T4: Return of Title IV Funds Program Performs additional related duties as assigned.
- Participate in new student orientations, open houses, financial aid nights, and other related events both on and off-campus.
- Processes students’ private loan applications; consortium agreements; social security waivers and AmeriCorps waivers.
- Provides evening and weekend coverage, as deemed necessary.
- Process students’ loan application; consortium agreements; social security waivers and AmeriCorps waivers.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3-4 Years working in a similar, or related position in Higher Education
- Demonstrated understanding of federal campus-based work-study program requirements, including common elements, and funding processes
- Must have strong customer service skills and be able to work effectively in a culturally diverse environment
- Must be highly organized
- The successful candidate must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. by the proposed start date; College will not provide visa sponsorship for this position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively
- Experience in public speaking and workshop presentations
- Proficiency using standard office software packages (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite)
- Experience working with Excel spreadsheets and budget reconciliation
- Familiarity working with school-based record/data systems/software (e.g., Banner)
- Community College Experience Preferred
- Knowledge of NSLDS (National student loan data systems), COD (Common Origination and Disbursement Systems), Imaging System (Or comparable Image & workflow software)
- Five or more years of experience working in a Financial Aid Office with direct experience performing verification and awarding student financial aid with specific Title IV programs (i.e., Pell Grants, FWS, or state aid such as MHEC).
BCCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application and/or hiring process should request the accommodation from The Office of Human Resources office by contacting us at 410-209-6007.
For more information, view the EEO - Know Your Rights and Pay Transparency Statement.
Email this job to a friend ×Subject:Your email address:Recipient's email address:Personal message:I came across this job and thought you may be interested.Human Verification:Send E-mail