Facilities, Operations invites you to apply to its Building Services team as a custodian. The custodian spends a significant portion of the workday in Princeton University buildings, interacting with the community while being responsible for all phases of cleaning and maintaining our beautiful campus.
More Impact Than You Can Imagine
Facilities supports Princeton's educational mission by stewarding the University’s campus in a sustainable way to create an environment of exceptional quality where learning and research thrive. If you share our values for teamwork, innovation, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and sustainability, we welcome you to join our team.
As a custodian, you will:
- Perform routine cleaning duties, such as dusting, mopping, vacuuming, restocking, and refilling in different spaces across campus, including restrooms
- Perform cleaning functions specific to your assigned facilities, based on seasonal and project requirements
- Assist with or execute snow removal activities and minor maintenance, such as replacing light bulbs, adjusting furniture, or other similar activities
- Empty waste receptacles and transport contents to designated disposal containers
- Ensure necessary doors are locked after cleaning restricted areas
- Maintain equipment and supplies by completing routine upkeep
- Promote continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices
- Fulfill miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Essential (including physical requirements):
- High School Diploma or equivalent work experience.
- Demonstrated good interpersonal and communication skills in reading, writing, and in receiving oral instructions in English.
- Demonstration of customer service with an emphasis on a positive attitude.
- Able to learn how to operate equipment and practice current methods used in the cleaning industry.
- Although not required to be a Custodian, in order to be able to drive the University golf carts/scooters to get around campus, you must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Able to stand or walk 2-4 hours at one time for 6-8 hours per day.
- Able to lift or carry up to 10 pounds frequently (33% – 66% of the workday)
- Able to lift or carry up to 50 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday) and in a range of motions from floor to shoulder height.
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds in a range of motions from floor to overhead.
- Able to push or pull using forces up to 10 pounds constantly (over 66% of the workday).
- Able to push or pull using forces up to 60 pounds occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Able to frequently use hands for simple grasping, pushing, or pulling.
- Able to bend, push, or pull frequently (33% - 66% of the workday).
- Able to squat, kneel, climb, reach overhead, or lift overhead occasionally (up to 33% of the workday).
- Able to climb stairs or ladders, shovel snow, and work outdoors in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Able to work at heights, possess a full range of body motions and physical agility, and have the ability to maintain balance.
- Experience in working in a higher education custodial environment or equivalent.
- Previous experience in custodial or janitorial services.
- Fundamental knowledge of computer skills, accessing online resources and training.
A standard shift is Monday–Friday, however, weekend shifts are also available with different days off during the week. Please indicate in the application process your preferred shift and we will do our best to accommodate your preference.
Open positions may include one of the following: 4:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m., 5:00 a.m.–1:30 p.m., 6:00 a.m.–2:30 p.m., 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m., 10:30 a.m.–6:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m.–10:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m.–midnight, 11:00 p.m.–7:00 a.m. (The 11:00 p.m.–7:00 a.m. shift begins Sunday evening and ends Friday morning.)
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Standard Weekly Hours40.00Eligible for OvertimeYesBenefits EligibleYesProbationary PeriodPer union contractEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)YesPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredYesValid Driver's License RequiredNoUnion CodeSEU-Service Employees Inter Union #LI-TC1