The Cashier is responsible for processing a full range of payments including those associated with student tuition, walk-in registration, event tickets and others. Within the overall context of serving as a customer service representative of the College, the Cashier serves as the first point of contact for callers providing the first impression of the College. The Cashier answers switchboard calls, greets students, employees and guests and gives directions to students and visitors. The Cashier has daily contact with students, staff and the public, requiring the use of clear verbal communications skills and the handling of confidential information.
Essential Job Functions
1. Provides receptionist services to the College community and its various constituencies by answering, transferring, and directing incoming calls and referring questions to the proper office or person in a courteous and professional manner. Maintains the organization phone list, ensures accuracy, and distributes it to campus.
2. Processes all student tuition payments, including processing credit by exam payments and placing students on financial hold when accounts become delinquent. Monitors student overdue accounts, creating first, second, and third letters of notice to students and communicating to Business Office for collection accounts.
3. Maintains and balances the gift card spreadsheet for the Campus Store and the annual audit. Maintains and balances spreadsheet for campus/community events gift certificates.
4. Processes payments for receipt of monies owed to the college including fitness center, special events, and alumni and Phi Theta Kappa dues. Processes Lifelong Learning cash/check payments.
5. Ensures the security of College funds by assuming custody and full responsibility for operating cash and receipts, balancing cash drawers and preparing the bank deposit at the end of each day, and completing required cashier reports/sales spreadsheet.
6. Monitors ACI Payment Inc for return items and process returns in Colleague. Maintains files and records of all returned checks and e-checks.
7. Processes R2T4 letters from Financial Aid, processes bills, places hold on accounts, and prints letters.
8. Maintains various deposits/cash receipt spreadsheets for the Accounting Associate to assist with monthly bank reconciliations.
9. Processes tax checks and scholarship checks in Colleague to the appropriate general ledge accounts provided by the business office.
10. Processed monthly checks and statements from Credit Service International, balancing statements and processing payments to student accounts which have been turned over for collections.
11. Processes invoices for mail and UPS fees.
12. Reconciles all Nelnet payments, including downloading, printing, and distributing reports to appropriate personnel. Processes Nelnet reports on a daily basis, upload student’s enrollment into the payment plan and their payments to Colleague.
13. Notifies Safety Services or appropriate party in an emergency.
14. Provides assistance and support to the department by providing backup for the Bookstore Cashier and mailroom as needed and maintaining the Cashier’s office in a neat and orderly manner.
15. Executes responsibilities in accordance with applicable laws and the College’s policies, which includes the Code of Ethics.
16. Promotes a positive and professional image of the department by being knowledgeable about various federal and state regulations, College policies and procedures, and departmental policies and procedures, greeting and providing assistance to students, faculty, staff, parents, vendors, or others doing business with the department or College, and referring questions or issues beyond the scope of the job to an appropriate administrator.
17. Provides courteous and professional customer service by explaining bills, charges, contracts, etc. to clients, customers, parent, or patients within the guidelines of FERPA/GLP, explaining College policies, and resolving problems or referring them to higher authority for resolution.
18. Ensures efficient workflows and optimum business operations by creating a detailed procedures manual of work processes.
19. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
20. Remains competent and current by attending professional development courses, software training classes, and courses and/or training sessions as directed by the supervisor or required by the College.
21. Contributes to the overall success of the Campus Store, Auxiliary Services, and the Business Office by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned, maintaining high levels of accuracy, maintaining a professional demeanor and appropriate levels of confidentiality, and providing excellent customer service.
RequirementsAssociates degree in accounting/bookkeeping, banking services, or a related field.One or more years of experience as a cashier or bookkeeper or similar experience processing payments.
Monroe County Community College welcomes and embraces individuals’ unique perspectives, diverse identities, and cultures. We are dedicated to building a workplace in which employees are respected, valued, and celebrated. We are steadfast in our commitment to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion, connectedness, and belonging.