Job Title: Research Associate- Analytical Chemist
FLSA Status: Exempt
Title of Manager/Supervisor: Lab Director
Number of Employees Reporting to this Position: 0
Range: $50,000- $60,000
Position Summary: CAARES is seeking a qualified individual to serve as an Analytical Chemist for the analysis of environmental chemical contaminants. The individual must have knowledge and experience with sample preparation (extraction/cleanup) as well as analytical instrumentation techniques including non-targeted analysis work flows.
General Purpose: Supporting the CAARES mission of providing analytical support to the Clarkson community.
- Extraction and cleanup of environmental and biological samples using techniques such as accelerated solvent extraction and solid-phase extraction.
- Quantitative analysis of sample extracts using both gas and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry systems.
- Review and qualify data based on established quality control criteria.
- Developing analytical methods as needed for monitoring and surveillance of environmental contaminants using chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques.
- Establishing and using data analysis work flows for non-targeted analysis.
- Publishing results in peer reviewed journals
Health & Safety: All staff has a statutory responsibility to take reasonable care of themselves, others and the environment and to prevent harm by their acts or omissions. All staff is therefore required to adhere to the University’s Health, Safety, and Environmental Policy & Procedures.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of personnel so classified
- Ability to trouble-shoot a wide variety of analytical equipment.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, and to work with shifting priorities and schedules.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with sample preparation techniques.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with chromatography and mass spectroscopy analytical techniques including non-targeted analyses.
- Demonstrated ability to publish in peer reviewed journals
Minimal Qualifications: PhD in Chemistry, Environmental Sciences or related field
Preferred Qualifications: Familiarity with GCxGC instrumentation and data analysis
The physical demands characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Special Instructions to Applicants: An equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Clarkson actively seeks and encourages applications from minorities, women and people with disabilities.
All offers of employment are subject to the applicant successfully passing a background check (including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, and criminal records).