: Continuing Ed, Training and Workforce DevelopmentLocations:
: Skokie/Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Sep 21, 2023Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: AdministratorsPosition ID:
About Oakton College :
Oakton College, a caring community of educators dedicated to excellence and learning, invites applications for the Dean of Adult and Continuing Education (DACE) (DACE 23)
A premier comprehensive community college, Oakton is 17 miles from downtown Chicago. Oakton serves the near northern suburbs of Chicago with campuses in Des Plaines and Skokie with buildings totaling over 700,000 square feet of space resting on 192 acres. These campuses serve almost 10,000 students annually that are enrolled in over 82,000 credit hours of instruction. The College's Operating Funds' budget (Education and Operations & Maintenance Funds) for the academic year ending on June 30, 2023 amounts to $77.1 million.
The College is known for its academic innovations, commitment to serving students, solid financial position, and supportive environment for both students and employees.
Candidates with a commitment to working in a culturally competent environment are especially valued at Oakton.
We encourage applications from candidates who reflect the increasing diversity of Oakton's student body and community, enhance and promote engagement with other cultures, and have demonstrated a commitment to working with and as part of a multicultural faculty and diverse student body and community.
Basic Function and Responsibilities:
The Dean of Adult and Continuing Education/Dean of Skokie directs, manages, and provides leadership in all instructional and academic support systems within the college's adult education and continuing education programs. This position is responsible for the overall strategic vision of the adult and continuing education departments at the college. Additionally, the dean ensures coordination of courses, curriculum, and evaluation, as well as collaboration with other academic areas including continuing education and career and technical education programs. This administrative position has oversight over all managers, instructors, students, and clerical staff associated with the program as well as federal and state grants associated with the adult/continuing education departments.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall management and strategic vision of the Oakton's Adult and Continuing Education Programs including the Adult education and Family Literacy federal and state grants (AEFL grants), workforce development initiatives, and community education programs.
- Ensures compliance to Illinois Community College Board policies and regulations for adult and continuing education programs
- Represents the college at state meetings related to workforce, adult and family literacy
- Oversees preparation of department budget including the alignment with the AEFL grants.
- Engages (randomly selected) students in meetings and/or communications each semester.
- Provides timely, procedural leadership for students and instructors alike to ensure quality development and execution of instruction.
Teaching and Learning
- Executes and and provides leadership over the completion of projects related to improving quality of instruction, transitioning adult and continuing education students into bridges/gateway pathways, improving testing procedures, increasing high school equivalency test completion, and facilitating enrollment in all adult and continuing education programs.
- Ensure online course development and management related to career programming and certification.
- Direct appropriate integration of emerging instructional programs and technologies into workforce and adult and continuing education offerings and services.
- Ensures timely tracking of adult and continuing education program metrics.
- Regularly reviews, analyzes, and reports on completion rates of courses and programs within the Division..
- Using all available partners and resources, personally analyze enrollment trends, form conclusions, make recommendations for actions, and execute approved plans
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Leads division staff. Maintains a culture that is both positive and successful. Sets high expectations and maintains accountability for student success.
- Demonstrates leadership in the core values of respect, integrity, collaboration and excellence within the Division and across the College.
- Adhere to and execute college policies and collective bargaining agreements.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President Workforce Innovation and College Partnerships.
- Master's degree in Adult Education, TESOL, Education Administration, Educational Leadership or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired; terminal degree preferred.
- Minimum three years' experience managing adult education and/or continuing education department and programs in a community college environment.
- Project management experience.
- Experience with program evaluation and assessment.
- Experience in recruiting and transitioning adult education students including ESL/HSE students as well as Workforce Investment & Opportunities Act (WIOA) eligible students into career programs.
- At least 2 years' experience in program development and management related to workforce/incumbent worker training.
- Experience in grant writing/management/oversight; adult education and family literacy grant experience preferred.
Supervision is received from the Assistant Vice President of Workforce Innovation and College Partnerships
Administrative supervision is provided for Adult and Continuing Education managers and staff
Based on the needs of the college and with Administrator approval, some positions at the college may have hybrid schedule options available after 30 working days.
Oakton is accessible by public transportation.
Salary: Minimum: $104,975; Midpoint: $139,203; Maximum: $183,954
To become an applicant, interested individuals must complete the online application linked from the posting found on the Oakton website. Electronic copies of a cover letter, resume/cv, list of three (3) references with contact information and transcripts must be submitted by the applicant via uploading to the Oakton employment website. Please indicate the position code (DACE-23) on the cover letter. Uploaded documents need to be under 2 MB in size and in either .doc, .txt, or .pdf format. A total of 8 separate documents may be uploaded to an application file that has been successfully submitted to the College.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
An UNOFFICIAL copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application by the applicant.
***Official transcripts for all degrees earned are only required prior to appointment.*** Official transcripts or a placement/credential file should be e-mailed to email@example.com.
Official transcripts or placement/credential files sent by postal mail should be sent to:
Dean of Adult and Continuing Education (DACE-23)
c/o Human Resources Department
1600 East Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016