Accounting Assistant II - Financial AidAgency
Texas A&M University - CommerceDepartment
AVP - Finance & AdministrationProposed Minimum Salary
$18.63 hourlyJob Location
Commerce, TexasJob Type
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
Please be advise, position not eligible for remote work within first six months of employment.
Visa Sponsorship not available.
During the application process the “My Experience” page has a section provided “Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.)” to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the applicant to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document. If you need assistance with this or any other matter, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu.
The Accounting Assistant – Financial Aid is responsible for daily banking deposits. Prepares financial aid reconciliations and maintains compliance with Department of Education regulations in the finance office. Prepares and submits the Unclaimed Property Report as required by the State of Texas.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for daily banking responsibilities. This function includes taking cash deposits to local depositor (Guaranty Bond Bank & Trust), reconciling each Business Service Assistant’s previous day cashiering session, running reports from TouchNet, FAMIS and feed files
- Process wires, ACH’s, bank exceptions and manual checks.
- Assists with the preparation of Exemptions entry.
- Assists with improving processes, namely the daily banking process.
- Prepares financial aid reconciliations on a monthly basis, including both federal and state aid funds.
- Works with Financial Aid personnel to resolve financial aid reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Assists with State & System Internal auditors and assists with the coordination of financial audits, as necessary.
- Assists with preparing the Annual Financial Report (AFR) for Texas A&M University – Commerce, in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines and State of Texas and Texas A&M System guidelines.
- Responsible for preparation and submission of annual Unclaimed Property Report as required by the State of Texas, as well as, contacts holders of unclaimed property to reissue as much of unclaimed property as possible prior to turning over remaining unclaimed items to State of Texas.
- Assists with the preparation of various monthly management reports.
- Develops reports using Business Objects and Webfocus as appropriate.
- Reviews, updates, maintains and develops internal procedures for the ongoing efficiencies and internal controls for Accounting Services.
- Assists in maintaining University accounts and data in the Financial Accounting Management Information System (FAMIS) and prepares, reviews and enters journal entries as needed.
Contributes to the effective team management of all relevant problems, issues and opportunities.
This job description shall include, but is not necessarily limited to, the above duties. May temporarily perform other duties assigned to maintain operations and services.
Marginal Functions will vary with the specific assignment and depend on the particular unit or function for which the person is responsible. Consideration will be given on a case by case basis and reassignment of marginal duties will be made when appropriate.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Two (2) years related experience. Excellent computer skills to include expertise in spreadsheets, databases and etc. Demonstrated expertise in complex mainframe database applications. Excellent written communications skills and analytical skills.
- Ability to: Multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to organize and prioritize work and to meet deadlines.
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
Degree preferred. Experience in higher education. Knowledge of and experience with FAMIS, Cascade, Word document and Banner.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
May supervise and assist with training of student workers and/or Graduate Assistants.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned. All Texas A&M University-Commerce employees are expected to facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and ability to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. The University has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Texas A&M University-Commerce is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution’s verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution’s procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.