Assistant Professor of Choral Music Education - 9 Month Salaried (College of Music) Location:
Tallahassee, FL Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The College of Music at Florida State University invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Choral Music Education, a 9-Month faculty member at the tenure-earning rank of Assistant Professor.
- Teaches Choral Music Education coursework at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Conducts Levana (SA ensemble open to all treble singers).
- Works with pre-service and in-service music teachers.
- Provides leadership for FSU's thriving summers-only MME program.
- Supervises graduate theses and dissertations as needed.
- Participates in professional service activities nationally and internationally appropriate to the rank.
- Participates in university service and other teaching activities as appropriate.
A doctoral degree in choral music or choral music education is required at the time of appointment.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a record of successful university-level teaching and a record of successful public school teaching experience in choral music.
Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated record of ongoing scholarly/creative activity.
The College of Music at Florida State University is the largest such college in the Southeast and the third largest university-based music program in the nation.
The University is situated in Tallahassee; Florida's beautiful, wooded capital city with an area population over 375,000. Located in the Big Bend area of northern Florida, Tallahassee enjoys a mild change of season and proximity to the Gulf of Mexico. With over 90 faculty and 40 support staff, the College offers a range of degrees in music, baccalaureate through the doctorate. We are home to approximately 700 undergraduate and 400 graduate students, who represent nearly every state in the nation and 20 foreign countries.
For technical assistance in applying for this position, please contact Jeremy Cope at email@example.com
Other inquiries may be directed to the search committee chair as follows:
Dr. Michael Hanawalt, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Choral Studies
Associate Professor of Music Education
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit our website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use our interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific Faculty job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://hr.fsu.edu/facultyjobs. If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include education details even if attaching a Vita.
Please include each item below via the additional documents section of the online application:
- Cover Letter uploaded as a PDF
- Curriculum Vitae uploaded as a PDF
- must include contact information for at least three professional references
- must include link to a 10-minute conducting video of a college/university choral rehearsal
- must include link to a 10-minute teaching video in a college/university classroom setting, preferably non-conducting related, e.g. methods, technique, etc.
Please follow the instructions below to request three required letters of reference:
This position requires that you have three confidential professional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. Follow the steps below to request these letters through our system:
1) After submitting your application, click the Careers link;
2) Click the My References link;
3) Click the Send/View Reference Request button next to the appropriate position; and
4) Follow the steps on that page to send your references a system generated email requesting they submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
You may also return to the My References link and click on "Send/View Reference Request" to see if your references have responded, add additional references, or resend requests. If requestees experience difficulty with this system, letters may be directed to CM-HiringDocs@fsu.edu
This is a Faculty position.
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check.
Appointment will begin August 6, 2024.
This position is being advertised as open until filled. For priority consideration, please submit all materials by November 1st, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.