The Executive Director, Advisement and Student Success is a leadership role dedicated to advancing the institution’s mission through holistic, evidence-based advisement strategies. This position requires a leader who can leverage technology to enhance advisement for new, continuing and returning students from diverse backgrounds. The Executive Director will oversee the advisement team on all campuses, coordinate with cohort program advisors, and collaborate with academic and student services divisions to deliver optimal student service in the areas of academic advisement, course registration, and retention with a focus on student success and degree or certificate program completion.
Examples of Duties
1. Develops and implements a comprehensive strategic plan for academic advising that aligns with the college's mission and goals.
2. Leads, supervises, and oversees training for a team of academic advisors and support staff to ensure the delivery of high-quality academic advising in line with best practices.
3. Develops and oversees programs and initiatives within the department that provide academic program guidance to students while supporting students’ overall success and wellbeing and retention.
4. Leads advisors and staff in use of data and analytics to identify at-risk students and develops targeted intervention strategies to improve student success, retention rates, and program completion.
5. Works closely with academic divisions to keep academic advisors up to date on program changes, new offerings, and adjustments to requirements to ensure students receive accurate and timely guidance on degree requirements, course selection, and academic progress.
6. Coordinates communications between advisement and other college departments through regular meetings.
7. Leverages technology for online appointment scheduling and analyzes student enrollment data to efficiently schedule and assign caseloads to full-time and part-time academic advisors.
8. Collaborates with RCSJ and Rowan University staff to enhance advisement to students in the 3+1 and Rowan Choice Programs, in support of a University College model for higher education.
9. Supports the onboarding of new students by overseeing the implementation of a New Student Orientation program for all new, matriculated RCSJ students and leads staff in implementation of robust advising and registration services for visiting students.
10. Evaluates the performance of advisement staff to facilitate the achievement of department objectives and leads in development of ongoing training opportunities.
11. Manages departmental budget, allocates resources efficiently, and seeks fiscally responsible opportunities to support and enhance advising and student success initiatives.
12. Participates in a variety of institutional committee activities in support of department objectives.
13. Keeps up to date with best practices in academic advising, student retention, and higher education by attending conferences, workshops, and maintaining relevant certifications. Maintains active involvement in professional organizations and related affinity groups.
14. Ensures compliance with FERPA and related federal and state regulations as they relate to academic advising and retention of student files.
15. Prepares regular reports on the effectiveness of academic advising and related departmental programs that include data on retention rates, graduation rates and related student outcomes.
16. Ensures representation of advising department at campus-wide events including open houses, graduation ceremonies and related programs.
17. Performs other duties, as assigned.
• Assistant Directors
• Academic Advisors
• Advisement Administrators
• Success Coaches
Minimum QualificationsMaster’s Degree in a related area of study required, Ph.D. preferred.Five years of direct advising experience in a community college or 4-year institution setting, with at least three years of direct leadership and supervisory experience Minimum three years’ demonstrated experience with project and personnel management.Experience with the Higher Education ERP, Ellucian Colleague and Banner preferred Experience with appointment scheduling softwareProficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access required.Ability/experience with research and implement emerging technology to enhance academic advisement and student success initiatives.Ability to work a flexible schedule with varied hours to meet department and College needsAbility to travel between multiple campus locations, utilizing personal vehicleDocumented proficiency in oral and written communications and interpersonal relations, including the ability to present to administration, community groups, students, and/or Board of TrusteesPossess the ability to work well and communicate effectively with prospective and current students, staff, faculty, administration, and colleagues and community partners in large and small settings. Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff and a commitment to a student-centered environment. If certain conditions exist, this position requires you to have access to personal technological equipment and capabilities to perform your duties.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at Rowan College of South Jersey. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the College. For more information about RCSJ’s vaccine requirements, visit the RCSJ Coronavirus Updates website for the latest information.StandingWalkingTalkingHearingRepetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers such as picking, pinching, typingPhysical requirements of the position:Light work- exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 pounds of force frequentlyVisual acuity requirements of the position:The worker is required to have close visual acuity Workplace conditions of the position:The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions. Women and Minorities Encouraged to Apply
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical activity of the position:
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.