Financial Specialist II, Controller’s Office – UT System
About the UT System
The University of Tennessee is comprised of campuses at Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin, and Pulaski; the Health Science Center at Memphis; the Space Institute at Tullahoma; and the statewide Institute of Agriculture and Institute for Public Service.
The UT System has a presence in each of Tennessee’s 95 counties. Through the combined force of education, research and outreach, the University serves students, business and industry, schools, governments, organizations, and citizens statewide.
The University of Tennessee System, through its multiple campuses and institutes, serves the people of Tennessee and beyond through the discovery, communication, and application of knowledge. The System is committed to providing undergraduate, graduate, and professional education programs in a diverse learning environment that prepares students to be leaders in a global society. The UT System’s delivery of education, discovery, outreach, and public service contributes to the economic, social, and environmental well-being of all Tennesseans.
The Financial Specialist II position provides leadership and guidance on capital projects, tangible and intangible assets, and cost accounting. Newly emerging accounting pronouncements with a significant effect on the University’s financial position have resulted in the need for additional expertise. This position is an integral member of the Plant, Equipment and Cost team within the Controller’s Office. This position works closely with a wide range of customers statewide, including departments, CBOs, upper-level administration, and state government to provide mission critical budget and financial information.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leases and Subscription-Based IT Arrangements (SBITAs):
- Independently analyze and evaluate often complex lease and information technology contracts to determine their applicability to the university's accounting policies
- Collaborate with campus/units to develop and enhance business best practices and to understand the need for capturing Lease and SBITA contracts
- Enter complex contracts into LeaseQuery software and evaluate the accuracy of the data for entry into IRIS
- Independently prepare annual financial statements related to Leases and SBITAs; respond to external auditor questions regarding the financial statements.
- Capital Projects
- Final approval of capital project invoices, cost transfers, etc.
- Monitors and reports on capital project budgets
- Coordinate and verify monthly and semi-annual debt service payments to ensure they are paid timely and accurately
- Coordinate with the state and Tennessee State School Bond Authority on reimbursement on applicable capital projects
- Provide CBOs with budget and accounting information on capital projects, including as-hoc reports
- Respond to other ad-hoc requests, both inside and outside the university
- Asset Management
- Review and approve invoices purchasing capital assets and sensitive minor equipment
- Review and approve asset changes and retirements
- Assist Asset Management Coordinator with physical inventory
- Cost Accounting
- Be an integral member of the cost accounting team, which is a collaborative effort between the Associate Controller and UTK CBO
- Gathers and analyzes data used in the development of Federally-approved Facilities and Administrative Cost Proposals and Fringe Benefit Rate Proposals
Requirements for Qualification
The successful candidate will hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related business field with a minimum of two years of accounting experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to define the problem and communicate the solution succinctly to a wide audience such as CBO, PI, or departmental business manager.
- Ability to think critically by reading, interpreting, and applying complex contract terms to the UT environment
- Knowledge of intermediate accounting principles and financial statements
- Excellent computer skills, especially with business software and excel (pivot tables).
The preferred candidate will have:
- At least 4 years of accounting experience in a college or university environment.
- Knowledge of university accounting
- Excellent presentation and training skills
Other ProfessionalPrimary Location:
Sep 18, 2023, 2:03:01 PM