Senior Software Engineer
Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
Computational Research Center
Engineering/Computer ScienceAdd to favoritesFavorited View favoritesSalary/Position Classification
Purpose of Position
- $108,000+ Annual, Exempt
- 40 hours per week
- 100% Remote Work Availability: No
- Hybrid Work Availability: No
This position enables research activities at UND that require the use of Digital Twin (DT), Digital Engineering (DE), Metaverse (MV), and Advanced Cyberinfrastructure (AC) technologies. Under the direction of the UND Advanced Cyberinfrastructure Manager (ACM), this position leads ad hoc teams of university faculty, students, staff, and other regional stakeholders (such as UND industry partners and ND Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU) to facilitate the development of DT/DE/MV/AC software applications by university research projects and creative endeavors. The position is also expected to provide related educational outreach services to other UND partners and assist in the development of funding proposals and publications as directed by the ACM.Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead ad hoc teams of university faculty, students, staff, and their regional stakeholders (such as UND industry partners and ND Tribal Colleges and Universities) in their roles as developers, programmers, artists, and analysts to design and deploy software applications that utilize DT/DE/MV/AC technologies in pursuit of university research activities and creative endeavors.
- Provide guidance to the ACM on the acquisition and maintenance of DT/DE/MV/AC resources to best enable UND research activities and creative endeavors.
- Assist in the development of funding proposals with a DT/DE/MV/AC focus and the dissemination of research outcomes to stakeholders, funding agencies, and the public.
- Provide DT/DE/MV/AC outreach services to regional stakeholders.
- Maintain working knowledge of current state of DT/DE/MV/AC technologies and their uses.
- Provide DT/DE/MV/AC workforce development pathways for UND faculty/students and regional stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience as a software development team leader.
- Demonstrated experience with High Performance Computing and Machine Learning systems.
- Demonstrated experience in Game Design and Game Publishing.
- Strong working knowledge of various SDLC practices, concepts, and techniques, including change control management, version control, testing techniques, etc., in both waterfall and agile team environments.
- Strong working knowledge of multiple scripting and programming languages
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Must be willing to travel to conduct university business.
- Bachelors degree with 10 years of experience in software application development and 6 years of experience leading multi-role software development teams OR Masters degree with 8 years of experience in software application development and 4 years of experience leading multi-role software development teams OR Ph.D. degree with 6 years of experience in software application development and 2 years of experience leading multi-role software development teams.
- Experience implementing Open Geospatial Consortium standards.
- Must be able to obtain a US security clearance.
- Must be willing to work on-site at the University of North Dakota campus in Grand Forks, ND.
- Successful completion of a Standard Criminal History Background Check
Export Control Compliance: This position requires compliance with U.S. government export control laws and regulations. Applicants are required to be eligible for employment under U.S. export control laws and must meet the requirements of being a "U.S. Person" (U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b (a)(3)). UND will not sponsor applicants for employment authorization for this position. Information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. export control laws and will be sued in compliance with all laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors.
This position does not support visa sponsorship for continued employment.Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience with using NVIDIA Omniverse/OpenUSD Enterprise for Entertainment or Engineering applications.
- Demonstrated experience with using Universal Scene Description (USD) for Entertainment or Engineering applications.
- Demonstrated experience with using Unreal Game Engine for Entertainment or Engineering applications.
- Experience developing geospatial applications using Cesium.
- Experience with Generative AI applications.
Please submit a current resume and cover letter.