Job no: 520748
Work type: Post Doc (Amherst Only)
Location: UMass Amherst
Union: Post Doc
Categories: Laboratory & Research, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Research, College of Natural Sciences
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The postdoctoral research associate will perform research on a project related to neurogenesis and connectomics in the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae under the guidance and supervision of the Principle Investigator, Dr. Paul Katz. The appointee is expected to establish some independence in research design and execution, to publish their work as appropriate in collaboration with the principle investigator, and to be an engaged member of the lab. The appointee will be expected to mentor undergraduates in related independent research.
- Working with collaborators to generate neural connectomes.
- Analyzing data and making data publicly available upon publication of results.
- Writing and submitting manuscripts in a timely manner.
- Training lab personnel in experimental techniques.
- Performing some level of care and feeding of invertebrates.
- Work collaboratively and effectively to promote teamwork, diversity, equality and inclusiveness.
- Work in partnership with colleagues within the CNS community and across the campus to support the Dean’s strategic priorities.
- Perform other duties as assigned in support of the mission and goals of the College of Natural Sciences.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, certifications, Licensure)
- PhD in Neuroscience or related field required by the time of hire.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, certifications, Licensure)
- Demonstrated record of publishing research in quality journals.
- Expertise in coding.
- Experience with machine learning and image analysis.
- Strong interest in neuroscience, specifically neurodevelopment.
- Familiarity with invertebrate nervous systems.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Standard laboratory conditions.
- Applicant must be capable of doing dissections under microscope.
- Full time position, may require evening and weekends.
- Flexible timing, must be available for meetings during the work week.
- Salary will follow the current UMass guidelines for post doctoral fellows: Postdoc PRO CBA.
Special Instructions to applicant
Along with the application, please submit a letter of application, CV and contact information for three (3) professional references.
The search will remain open until a filled.
As part of a commitment to their own multicultural community, CNS seeks an individual with demonstrated commitment to diversity and one who will understand and embrace university initiatives and aspirations (http://www.cns.umass.edu/diversity-equity-inclusion)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, caste, creed, sex, age, marital status, national origin, disability, political belief or affiliation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related condition(s), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, natural and protective hairstyle and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 20 2023 Eastern Daylight Time