Hofstra University is nationally ranked and recognized as Long Island’s largest private university located in Hempstead, N.Y. When you work at Hofstra, you join a team of talented professionals committed to preparing students for the challenges of tomorrow, in an environment that cultivates learning through the free and open exchange of ideas for the betterment of humankind. The work we do at Hofstra supports the education and well-being of our students, and the workforce of the future. While working towards this mission, employees can take advantage of many enriching experiences on campus. Whether it’s a lunchtime lecture, a Division I NCAA athletics game, a musical concert, a theatre performance, or a visit to one of our two accredited museums, there is always something exciting to do at Hofstra. Enjoy the ease of going to the fitness center, taking a swim, or grabbing a bite to eat without having to leave our beautiful campus! Hofstra University is dedicated to recruiting and retaining a highly qualified and diverse academic community of students, faculty, staff, and administrators respectful of the contributions and dignity of each of its members. We especially encourage women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, veterans, and people with disabilities to apply.Position Title:
Senior Instructional Designer, Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/NorthwellPosition Number:
School of MedicineDepartment:
Zucker School of Medicine, Department of Science EducationFull-Time or Part-Time:
Reporting to the Chair, Department of Science Education, the Senior Instructional Designer works with key faculty, e.g., course directors, component directors and individual faculty members to develop and revise the delivery of learning experiences across the continuum of the undergraduate medical education program, ensuring inclusive and innovative curricular design that meets accreditation standards.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partners with faculty members to develop teaching and learning materials to be used in a variety of learning environments (e.g., large and small group, classroom, laboratory, and clinical spaces).
- Provides support to faculty in designing and developing in-person and online materials.
- Researches and introduces resources to support excellence in teaching and learning, including educational technology for students and faculty.
- Prioritizes staying abreast of new and emerging educational technologies.
- Provides 1:1 and small group consultations with faculty, residents, and fellows who teach medical students to ensure state-of-the-art curricular design.
- Proactively engages with new full and part-time department of Science Education faculty members to introduce them to best practices for curricular design consistent with the Zucker School of Medicine (ZSOM) educational philosophy.
- Helps identify and develop pre-work that engages self-directed learning using a variety of instructional media.
- Facilitates the use of social media for education.
- Creates and implements a system of tracking feedback on the introduction of new pedagogies and instructional technology used in teaching.
- Works with physician leader/partner to oversee the Medical Student as Teacher scholarly concentration.
- Actively participates in the operation of the ZSOM educational program; attends and advises the various ZSOM curriculum committees.
- Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study, required.
- Three years of experience in health care professions education.
- Exceptional experience and thorough understanding of the technologies appropriate for use in higher education teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- Excellent communication skills and a passion for designing and developing learning experiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with staff, faculty, and students of diverse cultural backgrounds, create measurable goals, set timelines, and meet deadlines.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to approach challenges with creativity and innovation.
- Proven experience with learning management systems and databases.
- Demonstrated ability to provide customer-centric technical support.
- Administrative experience in higher education, preferred.
Open Until FilledDate Posted:
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.Salary/Salary Range:
$90,000 - $100,000