If you currently have a job on campus, please use the internal job board.
Position: Assistant or Associate Professor
Faculty Unit: Faculty of Culture, Language, and Performing Arts
Closing Date: Review of applications will begin October 1, 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Job Category: Faculty
- A doctorate (ABD near completion will be considered) or MFA in Theatre is required. Experience in Theatre, both in production, teaching and directing college-level productions highly desirable.
- Additional expertise or experience in theatre arts of the Pacific or Asia, or musical theatre a plus.
- Successful candidates will have experience as a director, with lighting, sound, scene construction, make-up, diction, and the attendant skills of college theatre production.
- Brigham Young University–Hawaii seeks candidates that support its mission (https://about.byuh.edu/mission.html) and who are committed to strengthening its students both spiritually and intellectually. It gives preference to women and men whose background and/or experiences mirror the many cultures and geographic regions reflected by the student body.
- As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Church), BYU–Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing, as authorized under 41 C.F.R. § 60-1.5 (a)(6). To be eligible for employment, applicants who are members of the Church must hold and be worthy to hold a current temple recommend and receive a clearance from the Church’s Ecclesiastical Clearance Office.
- Teaching requirements: 30 semester credit hours per year over three semesters in the following areas of responsibilities: Direct one play during each of Fall and Winter semesters; teach courses in acting, technical theatre (Scenery, Make-up & Costumes), Voice and Diction, directing, and possibly candidate’s area of expertise.
- Scholarship, creative endeavor, ongoing professional development, and university service are required.
- BYU-Hawaii’s primary focus is undergraduate learning and teaching. The individual should be fully committed to student learning (https://clt.byuh.edu/framework-for-learning).
- Rank and salary dependent on qualifications and experience.
- A limited relocation expense package is provided.
- Annually renewable contract eligible for Continuing Faculty Status (BYU-H equivalent of “tenure-track”)
- Standard BYU-Hawaii benefits package for regular full-time employees.
- Please complete and submit the following application materials using our online portal. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Official BYU-Hawaii online application via BYU-H’s HR portal (or link to application). A letter of application and current curriculum vitae. A separate “Fit Statement” responding to the following question:“Why do you consider yourself to be a good fit for BYU-Hawaii?” Three letters of recommendation written specifically for this position. Letter writers must include their names, addresses, and telephone numbers and send their letters via our online portal when prompted. Their contact information will be entered by you (if you are internal applicant) when you submit the online application. External applicants will receive further instructions via email after submission of application. Official transcript from the institution where last degree was received or last courses taken; electronic or scanned copies (as long as the Registrar’s seal is evident) should be included with other application documents. Optional - A link to a 10-minute (minimum) teaching video posted online.
Starting Date: Fall semester 2024
Note: We will not be able to provide application feedback as many factors are considered, and multiple entities and levels are involved in the review process.
Contact: Office of Associate Academic Vice President –Faculty
55-220 Kulanui Street
Laie, HI 96762
As an educational institution affiliated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, BYU–Hawaii prefers to hire qualified members of the Church in good standing, as authorized under 41 C.F.R. § 60-1.5 (a)(6). To be eligible for employment, applicants who are members of the Church must hold and be worthy to hold a current temple recommend and receive a clearance from the Church’s Ecclesiastical Clearance Office. Job applicants must be able to meet these conditions to advance through the hiring process successfully. An expired temple recommend will prevent consideration for hire.
* More information may be requested as you progress through the recruiting process.