Job Location: Bethany Campus - Bethany, OK
Position Type: Faculty Full-Time
Education Level: Graduate Degree
Hours as necessitated by teaching responsibilities, office hours, and other duties as assigned.
Chair, Department of Biology
Southern Nazarene University (SNU) invites applications for a full-time professor open-rank position in the Department of Biology beginning in early July 2024. We seek candidates whose expertise supports our Biology-Chemistry programs. Candidates must have completed their Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, or a closely related field (ABD will be considered). Academic rank will be based on degrees and experience. Special consideration will be given to candidates qualified and willing to serve as the Department Chair. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Teach 12 credit hours per semester (in-person, both classroom and laboratory instruction). Specific courses can be negotiated with the appointee, but primary teaching responsibilities may include: General Biology, Cell and/or Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Introductory Evolutionary Biology, and course(s) of the appointee's expertise.
- Develop and improve curriculum to support student readiness and student success.
- Recruit and advise students;
- Mentor participants in research experiences, including Summer Research Experiences Undergraduate
- Engage in institutional, professional development, and service to department, college, university, and the community.
- The successful candidate will teach undergraduate students and will be strongly committed to fostering inclusive learning environments, active pedagogy, and academic success of all students.
- Southern Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of the Nazarene. According to SNU policy, all faculty and staff must possess a strong personal Christian commitment and be committed to the SNU mission to make Christlike disciples through higher education in a Christ centered community.
- A commitment to acknowledge, celebrate, and promote diversity, inclusion, and equity.
- The candidate must be committed to the pursuit of academic excellence and be enthusiastic about interacting with students.
- A strong commitment to undergraduate teaching in a Christian liberal arts university in the Wesleyan tradition is also required.
- Our preferred applicant will be trained in Microbiology.
- Teaching and post-doctoral research experience are strongly desired.
- Be able to mentor students in the integration of the Biological Sciences and Christian faith.
- Show commitment to the development of an undergraduate research program.
- Demonstrate understanding and intended use of evidence-based pedagogy.
- Other desirable qualities include an aptitude for technology in facilitating learning (e.g. online teaching experience, flipping the classroom, etc.).
Receives supervision and work assignments from the Biology Department Chair and/or Sciences and Mathematics Division Chair.
Will be responsible for oversight of student teaching assistants in labs.
Apply Online for this position at Southern Nazarene Careers