Part-time Lecturer in Sociology
San Diego State University
Sep 20, 2023
The Department of Sociology at San Diego State University seeks a lecturer to teach two sections of Elementary Statistics for the Spring semester 2023.
Course Description: Basic statistical techniques in sociology. Tables and graphs, measures of central tendency and variability, correlations, cross classification, and introduction to multivariate analysis, sampling, and statistical inference. Computer applications may be included. Emphasis on application rather than on calculation of formulas.
· M. A. in Sociology
· Demonstrated potential for effective teaching at the University level appropriate to assignment
· Commitment to and/or expertise in educating an ethically and culturally diverse student populationDesired/Preferred Qualifications:
· Ph. D. in Sociology or related field; ability to teach general Sociology and specialized courses
· Potential for or a strong history of scholarly research activity
· Ability to teach large lecture courses
· Familiarity with the CSU system
· We are seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups. Candidates that meet preferred criteria in this regard:
o (a) are committed to engaging in service with underrepresented populations within the discipline,
o (b) have demonstrated knowledge of barriers for underrepresented students and faculty within the discipline,
o (c) have experience or have demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring underrepresented students,
o (d) have experience or have demonstrated commitment to integrating understanding of underrepresented populations and communities into research,
o (e) have experience in or have demonstrated commitment to extending knowledge of opportunities and challenges in achieving artistic/scholarly success to members of an underrepresented group,
o (f) have experience in or have demonstrated commitment to research that engages underrepresented communities,
o (g) have expertise or demonstrated commitment to developing expertise in cross-cultural communication and collaboration, and/or
o (h) have research interests that contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education.
To apply, visit https://apply.interfolio.com/132532
If you are interested in the position, apply online https://apply.interfolio.com/93237
and email the Department Chair, Norah Shultz (email@example.com)
For full consideration please include all of the following:
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
- Letter of application
- Curriculum Vitae including email address
- Names, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references (included in CV)
- Copy of transcript from institution awarding highest degree
- Teaching statement which includes a diversity statement (must address at least two of the criteria a-h listed in qualifications)
- Summary teaching evaluations,
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency