Academic Advisor II Location:
Atlanta, Georgia Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
The College of Computing was established in 1990 as the first such College at a public university and the second in the United States. Since that time, the college has grown into a world-class leader in research and education. The graduate CS program is currently ranked 6th and the undergraduate 5th nationally by U.S. News and World Report. The College consists of five Schools that provide specialized and general computing education to the entire campus. With over 16 degree programs, including its world renowned online MS in CS, we believe the College to be the largest Computing unit in the United States and, as such, one of the largest producers of computationalist at all levels and of all demographic backgrounds. The College is a part of the Georgia Institute of Technology, a unit of the University System of Georgia and is primarily located in the heart of Atlanta, Georgia.
Provide information and counsel to undergraduate and graduate students within an assigned area regarding their academic pursuits and progress. Prepare and maintain associated student records. Usually concentrate in graduate programs or specialized academic area. May provide work direction to Academic Advisor Is and administrative support staff. This position will interact on a consistent basis with: students, parents and faculty, staff. This position typically will advise and counsel: students. This position will supervise: NA.
- Provide information and counsel to graduate Online Master of Science in Computer Science students regarding their academic pursuits and progress.
- Communicate with students regarding questions and issues concerning various aspects of their academic program, including program/degree requirements; registration; degree petitions; change of major; readmission; transfer credit; commencement; curriculum updates/changes; academic standing/progress; and relevant Institute policies.
- Interact with other academic/Institute units in conjunction with joint programs/efforts/policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Other Required Qualifications
Overnight travel requdvisored for project delivery; flexibility in on-site daily service delivery hours (due to client shift schedules, project requdvisorements).
Four to five years of job related experience
- Knowledge of advanced university-level academic program requirements and related administrative processes within the assigned area.
- Verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills and basic computer skills. Advising of graduate students, especially online students.
- Computer Science or closely related fields.
- Experience with Banner, DegreeWorks, Crystal Reports, and Microsoft Office.
Degree Preferred: Masters Degree
Years of Experience: Four to five years of job-related experience.
Other: Ability to effectively interact with individuals from diverse cultures and use of specialized computer applications.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
This job requires knowledge of advanced university level academic program requirements and related administrative processes within assigned area. Also required are verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills and basic computer skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
EEO Statement: Georgia Tech provides equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including applicants for admission and/or employment, contractors, volunteers, and participants in institutional programs, activities, or services. Georgia Tech complies with all applicable laws and regulations governing equal opportunity in the workplace and in educational activities. Georgia Tech prohibits discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions. This prohibition applies to faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including affiliates, invitees, and guests.
This is not a supervisory position.
This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
This position will not be required to drive.
This role is considered a position of trust.
This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
This position will not travel
This position does not require security clearance.
M-F; remote. While this is a fully-remote position, there may be times when it is necessary to report to the Georgia Tech campus.