About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Westfield State University is committed to anti-racist pedagogy and practices that guide our universities' fundamental beliefs in critical engagement with diversity, social justice, community building, scholarly inquiry, and critical reflective practice. Persons of color and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Description:Campus Title:
Maintainer IState Job Title:
Environmental Services Job Code:
7115-0100 / 7115-6001Bargaining Unit:
AFSCME Job Type:
Full-Time, Permanent Timeframe:
Sunday-Thursday, 11:00p.m.-7:00a.m. Multiple hires will be made from this posting Regular Days Off:
Friday and SaturdaySupervision Received:
Receives direct supervision from a Maintainer II, Maintainer III; staff associate, manager of environmental services; institution maintenance foreman and/or Assistant Director, Trades ManagerSupervision Exercised:
$1,420.92 Biweekly Working Conditions:
Maintainers stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects; work outdoors in all types of weather; work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; are exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; work under exposure to the hazards to chemicals, toxic and noxious fumes, dust, excessive heat, high noise levels, high volume traffic conditions and high voltage wires; work from ladders and scaffolds; and may be required to climb trees and operate motor vehicles.General Statement of Duties:
Performs specific cleaning tasks in all campus buildings, including dusting rooms and objects within rooms; washing walls, windows, floors, soiled equipment and objects; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; stripping and refinishing hard surface floors; deep cleaning soft floors/furniture; insuring proper use of cleaning chemicals and equipment; moving furniture/appliances; making general repairs of a simple nature to buildings and equipment; removing snow and performing grounds keeping tasks.Duties and Responsibilities:Duties include but not limited to:Essential:
- Routinely cleans campus property, such as offices, restrooms, bathrooms, corridors, public spaces, gymnasium and other athletic facilities, classrooms and laboratories, student apartments and rooms, auditoriums, store rooms, stairwells, elevators, etc.
- Cleans above areas and contents in a systematic and consistent manner as prescribed by departmental procedures and within the standards prescribed.
- Cleans sidewalks, collects and hauls debris from around buildings.
- Shovels snow from sidewalks, ramps, entry areas, roofs, etc.
- Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to University buildings.
- Prepares work orders for repairs and to correct deficiencies.
- Assists in maintaining the security of buildings by locking and unlocking areas; reports unusual or suspicious situations to public safety.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, ceiling tiles, window treatments, screens and performs other light maintenance.
- Uses and maintains environmental services department equipment to assure good condition; makes basic repairs as needed.
- Reports to supervisors regarding activities completed, supplies needed, and pending issues.
- Provides on-campus moving services of University-owned furniture and equipment.
- May exercise functional supervision over part-time, temporary, or summer employees.
- May transport and erect temporary signage
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to stand or walk, for prolonged periods of time.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Manual dexterity (ability to perform repetitive tasks requiring continuous use of hands and arms).
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to locate weaknesses in cleanliness, such as dirt and stains, in assigned area; ability to take corrective action.
- Ability to climb and work on elevated platforms, including ladders and scaffolds.
Minimum Entrance Requirements: License and/or Certification Requirements:
- Knowledge and understanding of departmental, University, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment assigned to the department.
- Knowledge of the proper chemicals to use for each type of cleaning task.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of safety procedures prescribed by the institution and department used in building maintenance and custodial work.
- Massachusetts Driver's License.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.aspDisability Accommodations:
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.Background Check:
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
Application Instructions:An online application is required.
A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin September 1, 2023. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.Covid-19 Requirements:As a condition of employment, you will be required to complete an initial series of COVID vaccination (2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna or 1 dose of J&J) prior to coming to campus. Initial booster doses are strongly encouraged for everyone who is eligible. New employees will be required to provide proof of vaccination to Human Resources prior to onboarding. Employees who require a medical or religious exemption should email Tatyana Horne, Associate Director of Employee Benefits, Recognition & Transitions, at email@example.com.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=167013&CNTRNO=3&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency