University Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Fairleigh Dickinson University, in partnership with the national search firm, Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of University Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs. Fairleigh Dickinson University seeks an experienced and dynamic leader to achieve the highest standards of teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and student success at each of the University’s campuses: two in New Jersey, one in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and another at Wroxton College, Oxfordshire, England. Reporting to the President, the University Provost is the second-most senior officer at the University, and in the President’s absence, serves as the lead spokesperson for the University.
The University Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs plays a vital role in fostering collaboration, managing policy changes, and overseeing academic affairs across the entire University. Collaborating closely with various senior leadership roles, the University Provost oversees internal operations, aligns fundraising priorities with the strategic plan, and promotes excellence in teaching, research, and student success at each of FDU’s four distinct campus locations: Teaneck, NJ, Madison, NJ, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, and Wrox, Oxfordshire, England. . Emphasizing faculty development and innovative curriculum design, the University Provost works to cultivate positive relationships among faculty and staff. The current focus involves enhancing program delivery efficiency, interdisciplinary collaboration, technological integration, student learning assessment, and the University's overall well-being. Serving as the chief academic officer, the University Provost leads faculty in program development, community outreach, accreditations, and initiatives to enhance student engagement, including experiential learning and study abroad opportunities. Under the leadership of a newly appointed President, the University Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs will be a key strategic partner in implementing the new strategic plan and leading the institution towards its next chapter under new leadership.
- Ensures academic quality, standards, and coherence across all colleges, schools, and campuses of the University, including the University’s two international campuses.
- Along with the President, Vancouver Campus Executive, Wroxton College Dean, Academic Deans and Directors, leadership of the Faculty Senate, and other officers of the University, articulates and implements the University’s mission and strategic plan, with the overarching goal of expanding the intellectual environment and support systems of the University, and providing a first-rate education for all students while upholding the University’s values.
- Working with those noted above, develops and makes key decisions concerning the academic budget of the University, the operation of which is managed by same.
- Leads the Middle States Commission on Higher Education reaccreditation self-study process with institutional partners from all four campuses, ensuring institutional preparation aligns with each campus’ identity and strengths.
- Together with the President, Senior Vice President for University Advancement, and Academic Deans and Directors, assists with fundraising activities, with an emphasis on aligning the fundraising priorities of the University with its strategic plan, especially as they relate to academic programming and priorities.
- Working with the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration, manages the internal operations of the University, coordinating academic affairs with academic and non-academic support areas of the University.
- Fulfills the duties and responsibilities outlined for the University Provost in the Faculty Handbook, including oversight of all annual faculty status reviews at the University, including recommendations and decisions concerning the promotion and granting of tenure to faculty.
- Serves as co-chair of the University Planning and Budget Committee [with the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration].
- Serves as the primary liaison to the Board of Trustees’ Academic Affairs Committee.
- Hires and evaluates Academic Deans and Directors, and other direct reports.
- Ensures adherence to federal, state, and appropriate professional degree accreditation standards, especially the Middle States accreditation process and assessment of student learning outcomes.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the President.
- Earned doctorate or terminal degree in a discipline appropriate to the University.
- Demonstration of a deep commitment to the liberal arts tradition and to areas of professional study, as well as to the integration of both.
- Record of accomplishment and eligibility for tenure and a senior academic appointment, preferably at the rank of full professor.
- A strong record of leadership as a faculty member, scholar, and administrator.
- Demonstrated financial and budget management skills.
- Record of increasing responsibility in academic administration.
- A deep knowledge of higher education trends and best practices.
- Ability to facilitate and lead change with consideration of institutional landscape and application of aforementioned higher education research and best practices.
- Capacity to manage a large, multi-campus organization with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body, as evidenced by a clear record of successful senior-level administrative experience in higher education, preferably at a similarly complex institution.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. Candidates for hire will be required to sign a waiver authorizing a background check and produce a Social Security Card.
About Fairleigh Dickinson University:
The largest private university in New Jersey, FDU is a not-for-profit, nonsectarian, multicampus institution. Founded in 1942, FDU achieved four-year status in 1948 and approval as a university in 1956. The University offers over 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including doctoral programs in pharmacy, nursing practice, clinical psychology and school psychology; education, and an AACSB-accredited business school. Degree programs are offered on two New Jersey campuses and at two FDU locations outside the U.S.: Wroxton College, in Oxfordshire, England, and the Vancouver Campus, in British Columbia, Canada.
FDU's 12,000+ full- and part-time students pursue quality career-oriented programs on schedules tailored to their needs – days, evenings and weekends. The curriculum reflects a mission of global education and a foundation of a world-renowned University Core.
Application and Nomination Process:
All correspondence relating to the position of University Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs at Fairleigh Dickinson University should be directed in confidence to the University’s executive search consultant:
Christopher Healy, President
Scott Healy & Associates
A complete application should include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the position;
- Updated CV;
- Leadership Philosophy Statement;
- Three (3) professional references with contact information, title, institutional affiliation, email address and direct phone numbers. (No references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate.)
Applications received by October 31, 2023 will receive priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status. Fairleigh Dickinson University takes affirmative action in support of its policy to employ and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.