Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21201 Category:
Day ShiftAbout The Johns Hopkins Hospital
For more than 125 years, the mission of The Johns Hopkins Hospital (JHH) has been to lead the world in the diagnosis and treatment of disease and to train the next generation of physicians, nurses, and scientists. Above all, JHH aims to provide the highest-quality, expert health care for patients in Maryland and throughout the world.
JHH is a 1,150-bed world-renowned academic medical center with a dual mission: to serve as the community hospital for residents in East Baltimore and to provide complex tertiary and quaternary care for patients from across the globe using the latest medical technology and therapeutic advances.
The hospital averages 50,000 inpatient admissions, 500,000 outpatient visits, and 90,000 emergency department visits annually. It employs more than 11,000 staff members and has a medical staff comprised of more than 2,500 physicians.
The hospital includes Johns Hopkins Children's Center, Maryland's largest children's hospital, which offers recognized centers of excellence in dozens of pediatric subspecialties. POSITION SUMMARY
The Vice President, Quality & Patient Safety, is the senior leader overseeing the JHH mission in all matters relating to the quality and safety of care at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. This position works to eliminate preventable harm to patients, family members, and staff, to attain unsurpassed clinical and patient-reported outcomes, and to build hospital-wide participation through transparency, collaboration, and mutual learning. Working in partnership with senior administrative and medical staff leadership, the Vice President will set the organizational strategy for quality and safety and lead a comprehensive quality/performance improvement program.
This position is responsible for planning and directing the hospital's performance improvement programs to enhance the quality of care provided at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. This includes minimizing financial risk related to pay-for-performance programs and ensuring the best outcomes to strengthen the Johns Hopkins brand.REPORTING RELATIONSHIP
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Reports directly to the President of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Vice President, Quality and Safety for the Johns Hopkins Health System.
- Supervises quality and patient safety management team, team leaders, specialists, and administrative support staff; oversees and coordinates daily activities of staff; mentors and develops staff; and manages staff performance.
- Works collaboratively with the executive leadership of The Johns Hopkins Hospital to execute strategic objectives toward achieving national leader performance.
MAJOR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- An advanced degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, Nursing, Medicine, or a comparable area of study
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive managerial experience in healthcare and 7 - 10 years of progressive quality improvement experience are required.
- Comprehensive understanding of performance improvement, quality assessment, regulatory and risk management, patient safety, and program management.
- Quality experience in academic healthcare setting (including hospital) is highly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge base of performance improvement theory and applications; financial and data analysis; national, state, and local quality improvement initiatives, regulations, and accreditation requirements.
- Facility with quality improvement tools and techniques (PDSA, Lean Thinking, Six Sigma, robust process improvement, etc.).
- Experience in achieving results and a documented track record of implementing and accomplishing quality/safety improvements in a large, complex hospital.
- Extensive knowledge base and experience with public reporting, pay-for-performance, national quality improvement initiatives and performance trends, MSDRGs, coding guidelines, third-party payor requirements related to quality indicators, and regulatory standards (TJC, CMS, etc.).
Decision-Making And Team Management
- Monitor, report, and improve the activities related to eliminating preventable harm and ensuring the best patient outcomes and the highest value of care provided by all Johns Hopkins Hospital employees.
- Lead the organization to achieve the strategic direction set by senior leadership to maintain/attain the highest publically reported public rankings in CMS Hospital Compare, Leapfrog, U.S. News & World Report, State of Maryland Pay-for-Performance programs, and others.
- Develop and implement comprehensive, strategic, and tactical plans to achieve annual quality and safety goals and revise strategic plans accordingly. Recommend quality and safety priorities based on knowledge of national, state, and local priorities, regulations, and accreditation requirements.
- Serve as a liaison for clinical quality and safety initiatives with state/federal regulatory agencies, clinical communities, and key constituencies throughout the organization (JHU professional schools, JHM affiliates, etc.).
- Provide leadership for a safe and just culture, including structure and process for evaluation and ongoing improvement.
- Utilize leadership and operational expertise, knowledge and application of multiple quality improvement and patient safety frameworks, evidence-based practice, alerts (e.g. Sentinel event alerts), principles of high reliability, literature, and statistical processes to facilitate the operationalization of the organization's quality and safety goals.
- Oversee proactive evaluation and redesign of systems to improve and achieve highly reliable care processes (e.g., forcing functions, checklists, error causation thinking, human factors, applied informatics, culture).
- Facilitate thorough and credible failure mode effect analysis to identify and mitigate unintended adverse patient outcomes and evaluate the effectiveness of process changes.
- Oversee highly reliable event management processes, including a strong reporting culture, a strong event reporting system, an effective cause analysis program and a timely communication and resolution process with patients who experience preventable harm.
- Assess current hospital and clinical departmental performance on quality and safety indicators; regularly perform gap analyses and recommend focused improvement initiatives to ensure exceptional hospital performance on those indicators.
- Maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with key stakeholders. Regularly collaborate with clinical department leadership, vice chairs, nursing leadership, physician advisors, and hospital leadership to ensure a strong reporting culture and accountability for improvement initiatives.
- Present informative and actionable reports to appropriate committees, including the Medical Board, the Board of Trustees and JHHS/JHM committees.
- Contribute to and play an active role in JHHS quality efforts to align strategic priorities, interventions, and standard work to harmonize system-wide approaches at JHH where appropriate.
- Directly manage department operations, including all human resource and budget-related functions.
- Recruit and train staff. Prioritize employee engagement, retention, and professional development. Focus on diversity goals. Mentor staff on a routine basis.
- Develop and monitor key performance indicators for department staff.
- Ensure timely implementation of new policies and procedures that impact the department. May conduct in-service education as requested.
- Analyze problems and provide guidance to staff members. Maintain ongoing communication with staff to manage institutional and departmental goals.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Apply
To apply, visit https://jobs.hopkinsmedicine.org/job/vp-quality-patient-safety-the-johns-hopkins-hospital-leadership-us-md-baltimore-johns-hop-624606-efa4d/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency